Thread: Removing item from NFA purvew

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Removing item from NFA purvew

If I want to dump an NFA item cheap, say, a lower, can I return the tax-stamp, sell the upper (first), and get my $200 back, or is that not how it works?

Feedback Score
    66 (100%)
    I believe you just convert it to non-NFA, sell it (upper first if you only have one SBR), and notify the NFA by letter of same. I don't think the $200 gets refunded. I've never done it, so hopefully someone that knows for sure chimes in.
    Last edited by NoveskeFan; 12-04-13 at 02:48.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    - Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoveskeFan View Post
    I believe you just convert it to non-NFA, sell it (upper first if you only have one SBR), and notify the NFA by letter of same. I don't think the $200 gets refunded. I've never done it, so hopefully someone that knows for sure chimes in.
    Yeah, I doubt I get my $200 back, but it never hurts to make sure!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah I de-reg'd a sbs and sbr.
    I sent atf a letter that the short bbl's have been destroyed. My form 1s had been stolen along with the safe they were in, but I had made plastic shrunken copies, which I included with my letter.
    Took a damn year to get confirmation.
    The now title one guns had been sold.
    No they dont do refunds lol
    P.s. you might be able to sell the stamps to a stamp collector. I heard as much as $50.
    make copies of the stamps and include those with your letter
    Last edited by filthy phil; 12-04-13 at 04:30.
    i like dating homeless girls.
    when you're done with them
    you can drop them off anywhere

Colt 6920(x2, soon to be 3), Glock 30s (×2), gen 4: 19,21.
    m70ab2 u/f, wasr

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by filthy phil View Post
    Yeah I de-reg'd a sbs and sbr.
    I sent atf a letter that the short bbl's have been destroyed. My form 1s had been stolen along with the safe they were in, but I had made plastic shrunken copies, which I included with my letter.
    Took a damn year to get confirmation.
    The now title one guns had been sold.
    No they dont do refunds lol
    P.s. you might be able to sell the stamps to a stamp collector. I heard as much as $50.
    make copies of the stamps and include those with your letter
    I'll keep the stamp as a reminder, if I have to do this.

Feedback Score
    There is no requirement to remove them from the registry, just put a title I length barrel on and sell. It's prudent to make sure you have a lawful use for a short barrel, or another SBR, if you keep one around.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    There is no requirement to remove them from the registry, just put a title I length barrel on and sell. It's prudent to make sure you have a lawful use for a short barrel, or another SBR, if you keep one around.
    The upper would be sold separately. I can just sell the lower, then, as a normal lower? Or do I have to configure it as a rifle?

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    This ^

ATF FAQ - SBR/SBS http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/nati...-shotguns.html

Q: If I remove the short barrel from the registered SBR or SBS, is the receiver still subject to NFA transfer and possession regulations?

If the possessor retains control over the barrel or other parts required to assemble the SBR or SBS, the firearm would still be subject to NFA transfer and possession regulations. ATF recommends contacting State law enforcement officials to ensure compliance with state and local law.

Q: Does the installation of a barrel over 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS) remove the firearm from the purview of the NFA? If so, is this considered a permanent change?

Installation of a barrel greater than 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS) will remove the firearm from the purview of the NFA provided the registrant does not maintain control over the parts necessary to reconfigure the firearm as a SBR or SBS.

Q: Is it necessary to send notification to ATF and receive acknowledgement that the SBR or SBS has been removed from the purview of the NFA before it may be sold as a GCA firearm?

There is no requirement for the possessor of a registered NFA firearm to notify ATF that the firearm has been removed from the purview of the NFA. However, ATF recommends the possessor notify the NFA Branch of such changes in writing so that the possessor is not mistakenly identified as the owner if the firearm is later used in a crime. If, at the time of transfer, the firearm does not meet the definition of a SBR, it should be transferred without filing the NFA transfer application and without payment of the transfer tax.
    Last edited by Hmac; 12-04-13 at 10:21.