Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sig Sauer P226R Review: Oldie But A Goodie

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Sig Sauer P226R Review: Oldie But A Goodie

The Sig P226 has been around since the XM9 service pistol trials in the mid-80s. Its' basic design comes from the P220 but it has a double stack magazine and is chambered in 9mm (40S&W and 357SIG variants are out now obviously).

Here's my summary of the pros and the cons of the gun:

Pros:
    -Ultra reliable. I've had several P226s over the years and none has had reliability issues at all.
    -Nitron finish. The new Nitron/IonBond finish seems to be holding up better than some of the older versions I've seen.
    -Aftermarket accessories are readily available.
    -Very accurate gun.
    -You can choose which trigger system you'd like (DA/SA/SAO/DAK/ect…). DA/SA is the most common and the one I prefer.
    -Available in tons of different configurations to suit the users needs.
    -No external safeties.
    -Compliant in most ban states.
    -Very attractive looking gun.
    -Magazines are widely available from 15-20 round factory options.

Cons:
    -Expensive. While surplus P226s are still out there at reasonable costs, new models are priced higher than many other competitors out there.
    -Relatively heavy. Aluminum frame models come in at 34oz.
    -High bore axis. Not an issue in 9mm but with some more powerful rounds it may slow down follow up shots for less skilled shooters.

All in all, the P226 remains a classic gun that you can buy and be very certain you won't go wrong along with the CZ75, G17, 92FS, ect…. Here's my video with some shooting, a breakdown of the pistol, a discussion of the operation and features of the gun, and my overall thoughts on it:

Last edited by plouffedaddy; 12-08-13 at 17:55.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Great review. Thanks. Love those grips.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Love the P226.

Feedback Score
    Nice pistol. I love the wood grips. Metal framed guns are supposed to have wood grips. It's the eleventh commandment...
    If you can't win a gun fight against a lightly-trained individual during broad daylight with 88 rounds of 30-06, I'm not sure you'd be able to do it with... any other firearm.
    -Fjallhrafn
    Ok, I've got an El Camino full of rampage here, so what's the plan?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    What's the size difference of adding g10 grips if any? I saw e2 dimensions but not g10.

Feedback Score
    Very nice write up. Ive had Sigs for about 13 years now, and have usually had at least one P226 floating around in my safe. Currently I have a Mk25 and a P226R DAK .40. Ive always found them to be ultra reliable and easy to use.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sasage View Post
    What's the size difference of adding g10 grips if any? I saw e2 dimensions but not g10.
    I cant speak of any actual dimensions, but the G10 grips definitely slim the grip area down. The biggest draw, for me anyways, is that the G10's dont have the annoying "hump" in the left side grip panel. They fit my hand much better. Ive put the G10's on my Mk25 and P226R. On my P220R ive got the factory slim grips, which feel almost as good. I have no experience with the E2 grip.
    Last edited by fivestar51; 12-08-13 at 03:34.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big A View Post
    Nice pistol. I love the wood grips. Metal framed guns are supposed to have wood grips. It's the eleventh commandment...
    "Thou shall not put polymer grips on metal framed guns."

Yup, I remember that from Sunday school.

Feedback Score
    I've been really getting into my Sigs lately. Really like my 226 Combat. Thinking of adding an M11-A1 eventually.

Feedback Score
    I carried one on duty for about seven years and they always worked well for me. I prefer the DA/SA version over the DAK version I had for much of that time. The notable issues I had (beyond disliking the DAK) were the placement of the slide stop (my grip interfered with it functioning) and the trigger reach was a touch long (fixed by E2 grips). I generally agree with the pros/cons liked in the original post. I prefer the newer models over the older ones (I know many will disagree), the solid slides with Nitron finish are more durable, corrosion resistant and softer shooting IMO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast