Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 458 Socom

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

458 Socom

Has anyone had any experience building/owning a rifle in this caliber?? It legal for hunting in certain staes and I was thinking about moving to this caliber. Any thoughts?? Would also like to have some insight on this caliber shot suppressed. I'm also thinking about picking up a Bowers VERS 50

Thanks
    Last edited by 1371marine; 12-26-13 at 20:17.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    There are some good threads here regarding 458, I would suggest the orange search button, but it seems that has been misplaced...(just do a search from the box up top)

I will say that if you're looking for a custom barrel, get ready for a looong wait. Your best bet if you want to start hunting soon would be to buy one of the Rock River uppers that show up for sale occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by 1371marine View Post
    Has anyone had any experience building/owning a rifle in this caliber?? It legal for hunting in certain staes and I was thinking about moving to this caliber. Any thoughts??

Thanks
    "A 'sporting purpose' is what we use to describe actions taken with a football." -S.W.A.T. Magazine

"...if you are cruising the ghetto looking for crack and tranny hookers and you shoot their transgender pimp for staring at you the wrong way, then yeah, you might have a problem." -Iraqgunz

Feedback Score
    Check wilson as they seem to have barrel and bolt assemblies. I figure this will be my next build after my 300 blk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Bushmaster also makes the 450 which uses 45 cal pistol bullets as compared to the 458 which uses rifle bullets. If your not hunting alot with it and plinking, it'll be a little cheaper for blasting ammo. If you are loading for the hunt, move up to casuall rated jacketed bullets and you'll be gtg.

I'm running a 16" Beowulf and its a hammer. My blasting ammo is a Hornady 300 flex tip @ 1900. 7 rds of hot 45-70 in a semi auto package.

Start sourcing brass, primers, powder, dies, bullets and mags. This last shortage stalled shooting the rifle for almost 12 months due to brass and primers.
    Last edited by Ttwwaack; 12-10-13 at 01:06.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PrarieDog View Post
    Check wilson as they seem to have barrel and bolt assemblies......
    Hahahahahahahaha!!! I have had a Wilson 458 SOCOM barrel on order for 19 months. After months and several calls, some of which I was not able to speak to anyone but left a message which was not returned and several assurances that the barrel would be available any day I was told the barrel I had on order would never be produced but not to worry! They and a place for me right in the back of the line for a barrel they would actually produce and delivery was only a year! That was 14 months ago. I have been told there is someone at Wilson who can give me the straight story. I still don't have a name. I'm not much impressed with Wilson Combat.
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 12-10-13 at 20:29.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    Hahahahahahahaha!!! I have had a Wilson 458 SOCOM barrel on order for 19 months. After months and several calls, some of which I was not able to speak to anyone but left a message which was not returned and several assurances that the barrel would be available any day I was told the barrel I had on order would never be produced but not to worry! They and a place for me right in the back of the line for a barrel they would actually produce and delivery was only a year! That was 14 months ago. I have been told there is someone at Wilson who can give me the straight story. I still don't have a name. I'm not much impressed with Wilson Combat.
    Which model barrel do you have on order? I ordered the 14.7" on August 1 and was quoted 6-9 months.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    Well, I was going to get a couple things from Wilson but I guess I can look elsewhere if that's how they handle things.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    A good friend of mine has a 458 and I have sent quite a few rounds down range. It is a beast when used against barriers and hard targets. As for hunting, you didn't say what you were planning on hunting but I think it is serious overkill for 85% of North American game! And the round is not known for its long range accuracy! But if you want to shred some cinder blocks, this is a round to use!
    ABOVE THE REST_____________________CURRAHEE
    1/327th INF 101st ABN_______________1/506th INF, 101st ABN
    OIF 1 2003/2004._____________________OIF 3 2005/2006

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by samson7x View Post
    Which model barrel do you have on order? I ordered the 14.7" on August 1 and was quoted 6-9 months.
    I ordered the 16 inch heavy barrel. I would have prefered the lighter profile but I don't want to mess with pinning the FH. I have a 45 caliber Wilson can on hold waiting for the stamp. Getting the can was an adventure. I called Wilson several times trying to find out when they were going to produce them, I could never get a straight answer. I finally just had my dealer call in an order, six weeks later it showed up. Maybe I'll eventually get over it but this experience has shaken my confidence in Wilson Combat. If my experience is typical of how they treat their customers and I hope it is not, I would absolutely damn sure never buy a 1911 from them. Not when I could get something very similar from one of their competitors.
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 12-11-13 at 17:10.

Feedback Score
    I recently went to Wilson Combat and got a full tour. I helped a friend of mine who manufactures ALL of their hardcast match bullets. We delivered 65,000 that day. They are not some huge corporate factory. In fact, they are a small group of buildings in the middle of nowhere northern Arkansas mountains with a small production force of real craftsmen. All I saw was caring professional craftsmen/gunsmiths turning out a true hand fitted piece of art.
    They are 1 to 2 years behind on .45s, due to high demand and small production. These are not mass produced like most firearms manufacturers.
    Demand is so great, a new building full of CNC just for rifle barrels is in the works, though that doesn't help your situation right now.
    I was very impressed with their operation, and still find it hard to believe this group of pro's has been assembled in the middle of nowhere.
    I can also see where if someone is of the type to "make several calls", then maybe a quicker, mass produced product would suit them better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast