Thread: Let's talk about precision reloading

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    OK I'm sold on the competition seating dies.

If I were to buy a Redding seating micrometer, would it fit in my Dillon seating die?

Also, what's the difference between the VLD micrometer and the Standard?
    America is not at war... The U.S. Military is at war... America is at the mall.
    I love cigars!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Redding dies will fit in your tool head. (I'm assuming that's what you mean.. I don't think you can convert a Dillon die to Redding Micrometer adjust) I think I have a Forster micrometer seating die, but they're both about the same... I'd be fine running either.

The value in micrometer adjustability is realized when you load many different bullets. You can quick spin the die to desired OAL without the imprecision of the die lock nut adjustments.... It's just faster to back the die off with the Mirco, and slowly work your way down to desired seat depth.

The VLD is going to have a stem that's shaped for seating VLD bullets. You shouldn't be playing with those yet.... too early in your loading career. Stick to SMKs and that eliminated your "off the lands" issues completely. Load your ammo to standard/mag length and don't worry about jump.
    Last edited by markm; 12-10-13 at 10:36.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v