Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Let's talk about precision reloading

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by opsoff1 View Post
    I will say this with a respectful tone. Please don't post things like this until you have read through the reams of information that is provided by very very knowledgeable and experienced reloaders - there are so many things wrong with this post that I don't even know where to start.
    Seriously - do the community a favor and delete this post. Every single statement you made is wrong or dangerous.

v/r
    Please show us where "every single statement" he made was wrong or dangerous. Just curious.

Feedback Score
    Still waiting.

Feedback Score
    Other than reloading becomes addictive and you are always looking for that next edge or trick to make the perfect round, it almost becomes a sickness (mental illness) in search of perfection. How far can I take it and what is the return on the investment? Great thread.

kwg

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kwg020 View Post
    Other than reloading becomes addictive and you are always looking for that next edge or trick to make the perfect round, it almost becomes a sickness (mental illness) in search of perfection. How far can I take it and what is the return on the investment? Great thread.

kwg
    There really isn't a "return on investment" per say.

You can reload cheaper than buying factory ammo, and it can be more accurate, but I've found most people and up shooting more and buying new reloading tools, so there really isn't a savings.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    This is an extract from Shooting USA's interview with Mid Tompkins reference precision hand loading:

Mid On Ammo

Mid does not use practice ammo. “If it isn’t the best ammo he owns, the shooter learns absolutely nothing because they don’t know—when they shoot an 8, if they shot it, the ammo shot it, or the gun shot it.” Mid is perhaps remarkably nonchalant about prepping his brass, but he bases his opinions on years of experimenting. Yes, he trims brass to length, but feels that a thousandth or two difference among cases isn’t all that critical for Long Range competition. Nor does he worry about uniforming primer pockets and flash holes. “It may make a difference in benchrest shooting, but it darn sure doesn’t make a difference in our shooting, especially from 600 yards.”

Mid chooses match bullets from Sierra and Berger but doesn’t use VLD-style bullets. He “soft-seats” them about finger-tight in the cases and lets the barrel seat them to depth.

Full interview here: https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2016/...on-w-tompkins/

Feedback Score
    i tend to agree with that. For PRS style shooting, if i knew i was only going to be practicing speed barricades on 2-3 MOA targets, i might make some 'practice ammo' but the only difference in that and my 'match ammo' would be that i would just throw the charges instead of weighing them. brass prep would be the same. (anneal, resize, trim, but never uniforming primer pockets or flash holes)

but in reality, i never do that because i usually like to change up the speed in my practice and run barricade then take a shot at a 1/2 moa target or hostage flapper
    (not that i have had any time to practice this year...)

Feedback Score
    Has anyone had any luck with Sierra 175 TMK on Lapua 308 + 4064?

Feedback Score

Let's talk about precision reloading

Quote Originally Posted by bmfdez View Post
    Has anyone had any luck with Sierra 175 TMK on Lapua 308 + 4064?
    This is once fired lapua brass, 175smk br2 with varget

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ubet; 09-09-20 at 17:18.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Let's talk about precision reloading

^^^ well that would appear to be more than acceptable! What length barrel?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    ^^^ well that would appear to be more than acceptable! What length barrel?
    24”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213