Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about precision reloading

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Huh... this guy knows his shit. How often does that happen??

Quote Originally Posted by opsoff1 View Post
    SW,
    Interesting and broad based post. That being said - when you get into precision reloading, there are very distinct processes that are specific to bolt & gas guns.

So, if up front your looking at the GAP10, then specific items on your list are applicable and different ones are more appropriate for a bolt gun.

I would also offer this one word as the hallmark for anything and everything that is remotely connected to precision / accuracy based reloading practices:

CONSISTENCY - write that on the back of your hand, backwards on your forehead - so you can read it in the mirror and every flat surface on your reloading bench.
    Its that important.

- Turning case necks
    Don't bother for either - ESPECIALLY a gas gun. Recipe for major problems. For a bolt gun, this is only needed when your chamber has been cut with a custom reamer designed for specific clearance/dimensioned brass... read high end bench/LR guns. Turning necks is a whole other world and it opens up your wallet and drains your time. I turn necks on a custom / precision .308 40X w/ a 20" Krieger. The reamer is a .339 neck. I turn Lapua to .0145" This gives me .002 clearance. It's finicky - I have to keep the rifle /chamber clean and turning the brass is a labor intensive effort. I use K&M turners and a powered collet to spin the brass. Results??? I'd be hard pressed to quantify it other than it shoots under .5 MOA with boring regularity. When I say .5, I mean .5 - like 30 or 40 rounds will go into a group that I can cover with a quarter (.955 if you're wondering)
    Note: Personal rant / pet peeve - all to often you'll see claims that "My M740A6 blah blah blah shoots .5 MOA or .250 MOA all day long...these claims and the trigger pullers themselves are seriously suspect and are generally the product of a one time 3 shot group.
    Remember the important word? Will your rifle / ammo & you CONSISTENTLY generate .5 MOA groups day in day out? That is in reality, a rare feat that lives in the stratosphere of custom guns. I've shot .3 or .4" groups with a rack grade M70 in 30-06 with hunting ammo - BUT they were 3 shot groups and I can't even remotely consistently repeat it. Is it a .5moa gun - sure on the internet.....in reality - not a chance.
    Rant off.

- Using bench rest primers VS standard primers - experimentation will show results. In a gas gun - don't bother. Too many other variables. I shot NM High Power Service Rifle for nearly 20 yrs. Made High Master shooting across the course 200/300/600yds - I never ever shot BR or Match primers at 600yds - ever. I shot primed LC 556 brass with the standard GI M-41 primer. Guns shot MOA or better - meaning if I did my part and mother nature didn't offer up a big huff n' puff - the ammo rifle me combo could hold the x ring.
    Now - different story at 1K - I always used CCI BR primers for that ammo - but we are talking about HIGHLY developed VLD based loads. At 1k a 20fps velocity dip will take you out of the 10 ring. These loads were HIGHLY developed and had velocity extreme spreads (22rds min) of less than 15fps. I rarely lost a point to elevation. SD's ran in the single digits.
    CONSISTENCY

- Using competition seating dies over standard dies - ABSOLUTELY. I load on Redding dies almost exclusively - the adjustability / repeatability is gold. This applies to seaters, neck sizers, body dies and bump dies (shoulder HS) Redding stuff is ground / reamed to superb concentricity - using crappy standard dies vs competition ones can be measured in TIR at the contact point on the bullet ogive. Personally on my 1K ammo - nothing over .001 goes in the chamber. .002 is the cull point for 600yd ammo and .003 is 200/300 ammo. Beyond that - it goes to the practice bin or my son to kill dirt. That being said - he doesn't get much ammo to shoot dirt with. It is rare that I cull 1 or 2% out of a 500 cartridge load session.
    Also - use good strong RIGID presses. I load all my ammo on Redding T-6 & T-7 turret presses. I have a box of all brands of cheap single stage presses that I bought, used and learned the had way. Some are relegated to nothing more that punching primers or pulling bullets.

- Crimping and not crimping - NEVER EVER crimp a match bullet EVER. The only time you should even consider it is is the bullet of choice has a canelure in it. If it doesn't - then don't - that simple. Some of the 77gr Mk262Mod1 ammo has a (cough) canelure...ok if you want to call it that - it is the slightest of slight canelures and offers just enough "bite" so that the 77's won't set back under recoil / FA fire. Don't even consider, if they still sel them - the tools that will canelure a bullet - waste of $ and you're wrecking a good match bullet.

- Loading to be just off the lands or kissing the lands - or INTO the lands. Very very complicated topic. I start ALL ammo development with the bullet touching the lands - charges reduced accordingly. This way you are puting the pressure spike up front in your load development. Once you develop the powder type / charge weight, you can use seating depth to tune the load. SMK's are built with relatively thick jackets - so they very tolerant of jump. But..you find that different rifles, barrels, bullets etc have their own individuals likes / dislikes. For a gas gun, I tend to stay away from a load that has to be jammed into the lands. But there are exceptions - my 1K LR service rifle - AR shot 90gr JLK VLD's .005 into the lands - I had to be very very careful if I had to unload a live round - the possibility of extracting the case and leaving the bullet in the throat is real - along with all the powder in the bolt lugs...not cool. Some barrels have a lead / throat cut so long that you CAN'T load to touch the lands - in that case - load to the longest length you can and still feed through the mag. Witht he GAP10 - you'lll be limited to internal mag dimensions. Bolt guns can be single loaded.
    Quantifying this - in a specific instance - loading for my 40X .308 - it loves 168SMK's on the lands - to be specific - just touching. The difference? .020 off, opens the group by 30%. The LR AR? from .005 in to say .010 off - would take that group and double its size at 300yds duing one of my velocity test sessions. On target at 1K - it would have been ugly.

- Uniforming primer pockets - easy stuff, one time and you're done. Definitely worth it. It also contributes to CONSISTENCY of the case.

- Deburring flash holes - same as above.

- Bumping shoulders VS resizing to factory specs - in a gas gun - full length resize. If you bump a shoulder in a gas gun reloading - you will be pounding out a stuck case - IF you can even get the bolt to close. Brass is extracted and ejected hot and still under pressure, read "plastic" state - ESPECIALLY in an AR10 type platform. Put a mike on fired brass about 1/3 up from the bottom and compare to new unfired brass - the diameters grow considerably. You will need to full length resize for the GAP10. Bolt guns are happy when you feed them fire formed brass - you've basically custom sized the brass to your chamber. For that, you'll only need to neck size - and maybe every 5 or 6 loadings, bump the shoulder to maintain the right cartridge headspace.

Others have opined about bushing neck dies - great investment - and another tool to fine tune the ammo re: neck tension. It also offers you flexibility - case in point, I can pop out a .332 bushing for that 40X (tight neck/turned brass) and drop a .339 bushing in to load LC brass for my M14. Super simple and precise.

There is a lot of good advice - Accurate Shooter (6BR.com) is excellent.

Final thought - (sorry for the long post)...one aspect that befuddles and confuses reloaders, not to mention wasting bullets, powder, barrel life etc is the actual development process. All too often I see reloaders who have loaded for years, repeat the some old wasteful routine. They'll load 3 - 10 rounds of the same charge and have 10 different charges; 30 -100 rds of ammo and proceed to shoot each charge for group. They end up with a stack of targets with a whole bunch of different groups - they pick the smallest one and declare victory. Wrong wrong wrong.
    I would strongly suggest a ladder method or incremental load method where you'd only need to shoot 1, maybe 3 rounds of each charge weight. Based on analysis of vertical stringing, you'll be able to ID the accuracy nodes in your various charges - in a 308 you'll probably see 3 or 4 charges separated by maybe .2/.3grs or a range of .6-.8grs that all shoot to the same elevation - they'll cluster. This is a sweat spot and if you start your fine tuning in the center of that sweat spot (charge weight wise), you'll get to a seriously accurate load far quicker with exponnentially greater confindence that you truly have an accurate load for that rifle. The fine tuning will consist of bumping the charge weight up/down in smaller increments on each side of the sweet spot and playing with seating depth. Loading to the center of that sweet spot will also build in a buffer for atmospheric issues - i.e. temperature changes. That guy who picked that really cool looking group using that outdated inefficient method unknowingly picked one that was right on the hiry edge of a pressure issue. That great group shout in 50deg weather starts pooping primers and leaking gas in his face in the spring time in 70deg weather. The center charge of the sweet spot will prevent that. How do you think that factory loaded match ammo manages to maintain accuracy in nearly every type of condition?

Hope this helps - its only 1% of the the realm....

What are your questions?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    One of the only things I would add is if you have to swage your primer pockets to remove the crimp there's the potential for the swager to push inner burrs or flashing into the flash hole on the inside. Out of about 200 once fired cases I bought already swaged, I'd say 50% of them had this issue. It could have just been the person setting up the swager but something to think about. The chunks were in the flash hole fairly firm and took a little force to trim them out.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Do you even get down innagrass, bro?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Anthony.L;1811577]My $.02 as someone who hand loads .308WIN and .338LM for match grade ammo in my bolt-guns.

Always crimp. Crimping increases accuracy as the case mouth pressure on the projectile is the same from round to round. Over crimping can cause issues, so understand the correct use of crimping.
    Anthony.L,
    I have to respectfully take issue with the above statement. Important to note that I do not want to start any war or pissing contest. I will however strongly disagree with your opinion on crimping.

It is important to note that I do not engage in unfounded suppositions - my data, processes and opinion is grounded in decades as a professional - as a shooter, gunsmith, ammunition developer and professional (read paid) competitor.
    With that said - and dealing specifically with match grade bullets - as the OP first brought to the table:
    1. Crimping does NOT increase accuracy.
    2. Crimping does not contribute to developing the same case mouth pressure.

Crimping has absolutely zero place on a match grade bullet.
    If you crimp a case neck onto a match grade bullet - you are without question distorting the bullet. This is not opinion - it is fact. A crimp mechanically displaces the jacket which in turn displaces the lead core. That core MUST move somewhere - it is going in one of two directions - front or back. If it moves rearward, then the result will be a distorted base or boattail. It it moves forward, it will fill some of the void near the meplat (tip/hollowpoint area). This will impact the CG and you'll get a nose heavy bullet that will exhibit all sorts of gyroscopic permutations - i.e. potentially severe precession. Additionally, when shooting bullets that are made with high end jackets - i.e. J4's - these thin jackets can experience jacket separation from the core - usually evidenced by small grey puffs of smoke about 20ft from the muzzle...that's the bullet coming apart in flight.

Almost 10 years ago I had a long conversation with Walt Berger. He knows a bit about bullet design. I was in the midst of developing long range 556 ammo (1000yds stuff) using his 90gr VLD bullet. VLD's are finicky and sensitive to all sorts of external influences. The discussion centered around designing the throat / free bore / lead angle in the chamber to take full advantage of this bullet - which is very long. My initial direction was to find a length where I had nearly zero free space in the case (100% load density) I knew basically what the charge weights were going to be - fairly narrow window. So, the intent was to put the base of the bullet right above the powder column. He ran some calculations and came back to me with; "That won't work, you destroy the accuracy of the bullet." He went on to explain that pushing a bullet too far down inside the case, powder column will actually collapse the boat tail when the cartridge is fired. Once ANY distortion of the base occures - accuracy is gone. This small detail changed the entire approach - I went with a slower powder / increased the load density back up to take up the space in the case along with the obviously longer length. (BTW - a LR 90gr VLD 556 is about 2.520" long) The point of this story is that during our conversations - I sarcasticlly said to him that I guess I won't crimp the bullets either. He didn't think that was funny. This lead into a discussion on crimping. There is a need for it in certain pistol ammo, lead bullets (especially with lube) heavy recoiling large caliber hunting bullets and military ammo that is used in semi-auto / full-auto weapons. A crimp is used to prevent setback under recoil when the cartidges are in a magazine or belt. As far using a crimp on a match grade bullet... utter blasphemy. DO NOT DO IT.

As further evidence - consider the US GI match grade ammo program. I would submit that the engineers at Frankford Arsenal, LC and countelss other ballistic labs considered crimping - in every single instance and type - the bullets are NOT crimped.
    M-72 Cal .30 w/ 173gr FMJBT - no crimp
    XM-118 Experimantal w/ 173gr FMJBT - no crimp
    M-118 National Match w/ 173gr FMJBT - no crimp
    M-118 Special Ball w/ 173gr FMJBT - no crimp
    M-852 Match w/ 168gr HPBT - no crimp
    M-118 Long Range w/ 175gr HPBT - no crimp
    Mk 316 Mod 0 w/ 175gr HPBT - no crimp
    M262 Mod 0 w/ 77gr HPBT - no crimp

None of the Federal Gold Medal match has a crimp, none and we shot the 69gr stuff out of the box at 200 & 300 yds - it would shoot high high x count cleans. Same same with the 77gr loads. None had / has a canelure or crimp.

The only exceptions are the Mk262 Mod 1 which has a FAINT canelure in the bullet from the mfr and the 556 Optimized w/ 70gr TSX - BOTH designed BTW as COMBAT loads - they are accurate due to the quality of the bullet, but they are not type classified as precision/match grade ammunition. (additionally the 70gr TSX is a solid copper bullet - no core)

The only "treatment" on the necks of all that GI match ammo is/was an asphalt sealant - which by the way was found to increase accuracy when the seal was actually broken. We would run all the ammo through a bullet puller to slightly pull the bullet by an 1/8", then reseat to proper length.

Every one of those match loadings was run through gas guns & mag fed weapons.

So - bottom line after all my hot air. If the bullet does not have a canelure - DO NOT CRIMP IT.

If you want to gain consistency (there's that word again ) in a neck area process, then expanding on a precision mandrel will help (gets the necks perfectly round) then turn the neck to achieve the exact same wall thickness for a full 360 deg. then run the brass through a bushing neck sizer - you will gain astoundingly consistent neck tension which WILL impove acuracy. If you want to go full psychotic, then get into neck annealing and get a hardness gauge..

Hope this helps, and again, nothing personal Anthony, just trying to offer hard data to refute all the internet drizzle and poop.
    Last edited by opsoff1; 12-12-13 at 13:49.
    opsoff

"I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred shitheads"- Colonel Charlie Beckwith

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The only exceptions are the Mk262 Mod 1 which has a FAINT canelure in the bullet from the mfr
    Mark 262 Mod 1 uses a bullet with crenellation (vice a cannelure actually crimped into the jacket, risking a core/jacket separation) because that's what the Navy asked for. I don't believe it's actually crimped rather than fitted with proper neck tension and waterproofing sealer (you'd have to ask Jeff Hoffman at Black Hills).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SixEight View Post
    One of the only things I would add is if you have to swage your primer pockets to remove the crimp there's the potential for the swager to push inner burrs or flashing into the flash hole on the inside. Out of about 200 once fired cases I bought already swaged, I'd say 50% of them had this issue. It could have just been the person setting up the swager but something to think about. The chunks were in the flash hole fairly firm and took a little force to trim them out.

SixEight,
    That appears to be flash hole burrs from the punching/manufacturing process - not from your swaging efforts. Those burrs are common on most domestic cases as the flash holes are punched through. High end brass like Lapua, Norma etc have drilled/reamed flash holes - burrs are very uncommon in those cases. I don't think you did anything wrong - just the result of the manufacturing process.
    opsoff

"I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred shitheads"- Colonel Charlie Beckwith

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sinister,
    I wasn't aware of the exact terminology - but you are exactly correct - thanks for the info!
    opsoff

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    BTW - the title of this whole thread is like crack - it's addictive - I love to talk about precision reloading.
    opsoff

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    BTW - the title of this whole thread is like crack - it's addictive - I love to talk about precision reloading.
    Good 'cause I like to listen.

I've learned a few things in this thread already, so thank you.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ryno12; 12-12-13 at 12:27.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Very, very interesting. By all means, talk, because I'm soaking it up like a sponge.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    SixEight,
    That appears to be flash hole burrs from the punching/manufacturing process - not from your swaging efforts. Those burrs are common on most domestic cases as the flash holes are punched through. High end brass like Lapua, Norma etc have drilled/reamed flash holes - burrs are very uncommon in those cases. I don't think you did anything wrong - just the result of the manufacturing process.
    Well, like I said, I didn't swage the brass myself...I bought this brass from someone who had fired it once and swaged it. This is 6.8 Federal brass. I'd be curious to see if 6.8 Federal brass has the same flattened burrs/flashing down inside the flash holes before it's swaged. I tend to agree with you that it could be the flash hole forming because I would expected residual burrs/flashing to be much easier to remove than what I've experienced. Regardless, some cases have it and some don't so I personally want them uniform.

This picture is a cross section of one of the cases. It's really rough because all I had was a Dremel tool cut off wheel so ignore the warped look. Notice around the flash hole inside the case that the base isn't flat but drops like a half donut around the flash hole. Other people have confirmed this is normal. That would seem to me to make it a lot easier for the support head of the swager to crush part of the brass into the flash hole.

For the record, I have nothing against Federal brass. It's half the price of Hornady or SSA so a little prep work doesn't bother me in the least. I'm just trying to learn about the swaging because I believe you can overdo it and lead to making the primer pocket loose. I would think that much force could do something to the inside of the case especially if the support head is out of alignment or isn't smooth itself.

I've decided to stick with the crimp removers chucked in a drill that cut the crimp off from the outside until I know more.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Waylander; 12-12-13 at 20:19.
    Do you even get down innagrass, bro?

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast