Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast

Thread: M1 Garand pic thread

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    My 1.9 mil Springfield Armory:

Just "upgraded" the rear sight with a Type II SA repro lock bar from AmmoGarand and the gas cylinder plug with a slotted unit. Unfortunately, the rear sight's finish doesn't match the receiver but, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, oh well.
    That is common. The Silver-Grey finish on the rifle is much like that of Letterkenny refinished ones and only parts that have most of the finish worn off or are refinished in the S-G color will match. My 6M Letterkenny one is all the S-G color as they did all the parts at the same time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaDon View Post
    That is common. The Silver-Grey finish on the rifle is much like that of Letterkenny refinished ones and only parts that have most of the finish worn off or are refinished in the S-G color will match. My 6M Letterkenny one is all the S-G color as they did all the parts at the same time.
    Yep, rifles were reworked / rearsenaled without any regard to matching finish, matching wood etc. Even some new builds used parts from different manufacturers as part supplies ebbed and flowed. "Mixmaster" is more the natural state of Garands.

I had the pleasure of taking mine to Camp Perry for the national shooting matches. Was a great experience, my first time. Hitting the scoring rings at 600 yards with iron, stock sights doesn't suck! Also, recently just missed the cutoff for bronze at a local match by 4 points. Really enjoy shooting the Garand ... it still gets it done!
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Around 75 years old and still some of my favorite firearms. All made between 1942-1945.

Smith Corona 1903-A3
    Springfield M1 Garand
    Quality Hardware M1 Carbine
    Remington Rand M1911A1

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nof555; 12-07-19 at 03:57.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nof555 View Post
    Around 75 years old and still some of my favorite firearms. All made between 1942-1945.

Smith Corona 1903-A3
    Springfield M1 Garand
    Quality Hardware M1 Carbine
    Remington Rand M1911A1

Hey, you're missing a couple of bayonets. And someone stole the RR 1911A1 also.;-) In case you haven't looked, the bayonet shown (M1905E1) is one that was cut down from the M1905/M1942 style bayonet. A common thing that happened in WW II. Some new at the time bayonets even had it done before they switched production over to the M1 bayonet. There might be two dates on it with the original maker and the company that modified its name on it too. Downstairs is a M1905 bayonet that turned 100 this year, still in its original arsenal wrapper to go with the M1903 receiver from 1905. And a few other M1/M1903/M1903A3 bayonets and ones also for M1 Carbine. My Christmas present from my BIL will be a Colt framed 1911 with an Ithaca slide.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Hey, you're missing a couple of bayonets. And someone stole the RR 1911A1 also.;-) In case you haven't looked, the bayonet shown (M1905E1) is one that was cut down from the M1905/M1942 style bayonet. A common thing that happened in WW II. Some new at the time bayonets even had it done before they switched production over to the M1 bayonet. There might be two dates on it with the original maker and the company that modified its name on it too. Downstairs is a M1905 bayonet that turned 100 this year, still in its original arsenal wrapper to go with the M1903 receiver from 1905. And a few other M1/M1903/M1903A3 bayonets and ones also for M1 Carbine. My Christmas present from my BIL will be a Colt framed 1911 with an Ithaca slide.
    Haha didn't even realize I put the wrong picture up. Here's the whole family (I know the slings aren't correct time period). I didn't know that about the bayonets, always learning something new. I believe my bayonet is dated 1943, can't say I've ever noticed another date on it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nof555 View Post
    Haha didn't even realize I put the wrong picture up. Here's the whole family (I know the slings aren't correct time period). I didn't know that about the bayonets, always learning something new. I believe my bayonet is dated 1943, can't say I've ever noticed another date on it.

If it has a 1943 date, it would be a M1942 bayonet that was shortened. The Tang would have the marking for the company that did the cutting down of it unless it is on the opposite side of the Ricasso or it was a field modification. Gary Cunningham ( now deceased ( :-( ) who lived in the next town down river was an expert on them ( bayonets in general ) and had a web page with tons of info on the military bayonets. http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayonet_points.htm Bayo 2 is the one you would be most interested in. I was lucky enough to meet Gary in person and get signed copies of his book and the CD that he had that had all the info from those web site pages plus more. This last year if he had lived, I would have taken the 1918 bayonet down for him to photograph in all its factory preserved glory.

As for the sling, anything from before the date the rifle was made till later dates would be correct for them as long as it was a military sling.
    Last edited by FlaDon; 12-07-19 at 07:42.

Feedback Score
    Just showed up today. Merry Christmas to me.
    1954 Springfield service grade.

m1.1.jpg
    m1.2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by spence; 12-22-19 at 22:42.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    Just showed up today. Merry Christmas to me.
    1954 Springfield service grade.

63773D12-09DF-4495-B87D-C27B620E200F.jpg
    DC78A491-9FDF-434E-8673-A9D291639620.jpg
    Nice. From the CMP?

Feedback Score
    Next month I should have a new picture to post. Just waiting on the CMP to ship my items. This month so far I've added a 1942 SA that the Navy converted to 7.62 NATO with the original barrel. A 1917 Colt 1911 with an Ithaca slide. A 1917 Colt Pistol Positive. Tuesday I will add an IBM M1 Carbine. I need to build a gun vault soon. The M1s are taking over the place.

Feedback Score
    Nice. From the CMP?
    Yes indeed. Mailed in paperwork the day after Thanksgiving, Fedex dropped it off yesterday.
    CMP Service Grade, 1954 Springfield. Condition is just awesome.
    Last edited by spence; 12-23-19 at 00:52.

Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast