Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: idiot proof TQ recommendations?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

idiot proof TQ recommendations?

Sorry if this is the wrong place, or even the wrong message board entirely. I got into tactical medicine from a discussion here a couple years back and have been following it while working on my degree.

Background: Developing a pilot program at a University. Our goal is low-cost mitigation for active shooter or similar situations. We will be training a handful of our student rescue members in Tourniquet application, wound packing and occlusive dressings. The idea is if something happens, we have some means to buy time for more advanced medical care to arrive. Some are EMTs but we want the program to be easily accessible to personnel that only have basic first aid training. After training, we will issue each person a small kit similar to a bare-bones ifak that can be kept in their book bag and hopefully never has to be utilized.

I'd like some input on what tourniquets are the easiest to train with and become proficient with out there. I'm familiar with CATs and like them well enough, but I'm concerned the various applications between legs and arms could cause confusion for our trainees under stress. I do not have as much familiarity with the SOF-T tourniquets but I think those could be another option?

Given the choices available today, what would you recommend as the best option to give a layperson so the likelihood of effective application and hemorrhage control is maximized?

Thank you for any input and my apologies if this is not an appropriate topic of discussion in this section.

Feedback Score
    I don't think you can go wrong with either the CAT or the SOFT-T. The newer wide version of the SOFT-T is very nice.

If you are looking for a simple application TTP, have them always slip it over limbs when applying it, and always place it as proximal as possible. It is consistent and simple.

The normal application technique is to thread it when applying it to a leg, and to simply slip it over when applying it to an arm.

I know you did not ask for input on chest seals, but I recommend the HALO chest seal. The adhesive sticks to everything, and you can also easily cut it into sections of varying sizes, based on your needs/size of wound.
    It's not about surviving, it's about winning!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Feedback from EMS and LE students favors the simplicity of the CAT over others.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hey,
    Just wanted to say that we had training under stress with the CAT. It worked very well. I carry my CAT and Quick Clot in the left pocket of my duty cargo pants. I think it is a really good idea to keep the CAT and Quick Clot on your person at all times. I just think about how many times I get out of my patrol car everyday.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I have carried a SOFT-T almost daily for years, and have recommended it to many looking for an easy to use tourniquet. I just spent a few days training where we were using the CAT, and I must say it too was very easy to use/deploy. In comparison, the CAT seems easier to carry, as the metal buckle on the SOFT-T has a bit more bulk to it. I am considering switching to the CAT for carry, and keeping the new, wide SOFT-T in my IFAKs.

ETA It looks like the new gen2 of the SOFT got rid of the thumbscrew on the buckle. I will have to order one to be sure, but this may bring it closer to the CAT, storage wise.
    Last edited by PD Sgt.; 12-12-13 at 13:27.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I appreciate your feedback. Sounds like your recommendations all mirror my experience with the CATs. I've got a few that are still in the wrap. They have the band fed through the buckle twice, so they come ready for leg use. I think to keep training simple we will have the students use them in this format for arm and leg injuries so they don't need to worry about it at all. I am going to go ahead and order a SOFT-T just to tinker with on my own but at least for this initial class, CATs are going to be issued.

I'll try to keep this thread updated as the training starts in the coming year if there is interest.

Also, Arctic, you mentioned the HALO earlier. We were originally considering the BCS, but mostly based on literature review as my team has no first hand experience with them outside of training. I think I'd heard the adhesive is better on the HALO, but my concern had been the lack of any 1-way valve, so I will be ordering a couple of those to evaluate as well.

Thanks again everybody.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Make sure you are ordering from a reputable source, there was some stuff earlier this year about counterfeit TQ's getting to be a big problem.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PD Sgt. View Post
    ETA It looks like the new gen2 of the SOFT got rid of the thumbscrew on the buckle. I will have to order one to be sure, but this may bring it closer to the CAT, storage wise.
    I just got a bunch of the SOFTT-W for BOKs. They are the newest design without the thumbscrew, and with the detachable link to open the strap. They're pretty compact.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    I just got a bunch of the SOFTT-W for BOKs. They are the newest design without the thumbscrew, and with the detachable link to open the strap. They're pretty compact.
    Thanks for the info. Would you call the new design as user friendly as the CAT?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The RMT from M2inc is the best TQ in my opinion. Scored better than the CAT in NAVSEA trials, easy and intuitive to use. One dudes opinion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast