Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 day pack first aid kit

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

3 day pack first aid kit

I tried to search for this, but didnt really see anything that stuck out at me.

I am finally getting a 3 day pack together and definitely want some type of first aid kit.

I have no clue exactly what I need/want outside of band aids.

I would like to purchase a pre-packaged kit and stay under $100.

The ones from Adventure Medical kits seem like a decent product at a decent price.

Was checking out this one:
    http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...ld-travel.html

and this one:
    http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...bighorn-1.html

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hey,
    You might want to check out North American Rescue....
    What about an IFAK?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I know it is not under the 100.$ mark, but it is a good kit. http://www.darkangelmedical.com/About.php
    Last edited by Abraxas; 12-11-13 at 21:04.
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    nice looking kits, but a bit out of my price range and I think a bit more than what I am looking for.

I guess I am looking for a basic first aid kit plus if that makes sense.

I dont think I am worried about having a dedicated IFAK as long as the components(quick clot type product) are in the main kit. The second kit I posted has a quick clot type product in it.

Only thing neither kit has is a tourniquet, but I have heard(again, I am no expert) that you can potentially cause more harm than good if you dont know how to use one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    I tried to search for this, but didnt really see anything that stuck out at me.

I am finally getting a 3 day pack together and definitely want some type of first aid kit.

I have no clue exactly what I need/want outside of band aids.

I would like to purchase a pre-packaged kit and stay under $100.

The ones from Adventure Medical kits seem like a decent product at a decent price.

Was checking out this one:
    http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...ld-travel.html

and this one:
    http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...bighorn-1.html
    Adventure Meds is a great place to start. Depending on your environment, MENS and training, maybe adding a TQ and combat gauze might be needed.

What is your training level? Software determines much of the hardware side of the occasion. That is a critical need.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post
    again good looking kit, but I think I am looking for more than a basic IFAK, which is all I see on their page unless I am missing something.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    What is your training level? Software determines much of the hardware side of the occasion. That is a critical need.
    I have no training(save for a few lifeguard courses 15 years ago), but would like to receive some. I could probably do CPR and that would be the extent of my "advanced" life saving training.

I am not necessarily looking for this as a "what if I get shot" type of kit, but like I said, more of a first aid kit plus.

I mean I would probably be more prepared than 99% of people if I just went down to Walmart and grabbed a decent first aid kit.

Feedback Score
    I build my own E kits. There is no other way to have absolute faith in the components, and to choose components that you prefer to use. My basic kit (appropriate for 3 days) is basically "blowout" related. My "must-haves" are:

Heavy duty scissors,
    Israeli Tourniquet,
    Celox (The 6" square size),
    Large Gauze,
    Self-sticking bandage wrap (about 3 m worth),
    Medical tape (Wide, like 1" or more),
    an epi-pen (I am not allergic, but I carry this for others, and situations where epinephrine is appropriate, ask your MD for a prescription for med kit)
    and Hibiclens (look it up, it is used like Iodine, but is much better).

Safe travels.
    "We must surrender our attachments to government in every aspect of life. This goes for the right and the left. We need to give up our dependencies on the state, materially and spiritually. We should not look to the state to provide for us financially or psychologically.... Let us understand that it is far better to live in an imperfect world than it is to live in a despotic world ruled by people who lord over us through force and intimidation. - Dr. Ron Paul

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    I have no training(save for a few lifeguard courses 15 years ago), but would like to receive some. I could probably do CPR and that would be the extent of my "advanced" life saving training.

II mean I would probably be more prepared than 99% of people if I just went down to Walmart and grabbed a decent first aid kit.
    Knowing you need a step-up aid kit but not exclusively trauma-focused blowout kit helps. You're on the right track with A-Med, I'm an inactive EMT and have supplementary A-Med suture and wound care kits for back country and OCONUS travel.

On a TQ, don't use one if you don't have any training, but I've seen a few episodes where extremity blood loss was critical to survival. Even if you aren't confident using it, someone there might have the knowledge to do so or to use it on you if needed. TQs were opposed without medical evidence for many years, but more recent research-based methods are showing they have a valuable place. Good TQs (SOFT/CAT) cost $30 and up, but a lower cost Cav Arms TQ is small and adds another capability to your kit. I hand out the most basic TK-4 TQs to buddies and family members for their aid kits.

Don't disparage the lifeguard training, that puts you above maybe 60-70% of the general population in skill level. I'd encourage your plans for some supplemental training. The basic Red Cross course is a good start but you could branch towards EMS courses offered by local comm. colleges, wilderness medicine courses or gunshot-oriented trauma courses. All cost a little, but provide some skills to back up good decision-making.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    Knowing you need a step-up aid kit but not exclusively trauma-focused blowout kit helps. You're on the right track with A-Med, I'm an inactive EMT and have supplementary A-Med suture and wound care kits for back country and OCONUS travel.

On a TQ, don't use one if you don't have any training, but I've seen a few episodes where extremity blood loss was critical to survival. Even if you aren't confident using it, someone there might have the knowledge to do so or to use it on you if needed. TQs were opposed without medical evidence for many years, but more recent research-based methods are showing they have a valuable place. Good TQs (SOFT/CAT) cost $30 and up, but a lower cost Cav Arms TQ is small and adds another capability to your kit. I hand out the most basic TK-4 TQs to buddies and family members for their aid kits.

Don't disparage the lifeguard training, that puts you above maybe 60-70% of the general population in skill level. I'd encourage your plans for some supplemental training. The basic Red Cross course is a good start but you could branch towards EMS courses offered by local comm. colleges, wilderness medicine courses or gunshot-oriented trauma courses. All cost a little, but provide some skills to back up good decision-making.
    So if I was looking between the two kits I posted, which would you choose?

Then add a tourniquet and maybe a little more advanced GSW kit. Like I said, around $100 I am ok, much more than that I think is getting out of my price range as well as probably having more stuff than my abilities would enable me to even use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast