Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eotech 8 hour shut off...I finally get it

Feedback Score

Eotech 8 hour shut off...I finally get it

I have been out hunting all day. I always throw in a fresh battery as always, turn on the sight, grab my 7mm and spend all day out there.

This evening I saw a bunch of hogs rolling around in the mud and decide to grab my ddm4 and sneak up on them. I managed to stay downwind of them and get about fifty yards out. When I raised the rifle up, after the second shot my reticle went out. Luckily I had my irons are fixed and cowitnessed, but given the low light I just couldn't use them fast enough to get all the hogs.

I never really thought the 8 hour shutoff was a big deal but this was pretty eye opening.

Result, it's time to start workin with an aimpoint. My question is whether or not the comp m4 dot is easier/faster to pick up than the micro. I have had LASIK which can make a dot seem a little off, but not enough to make me put a variable scope on my lw m4

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    It really is a pain in the ass.

Glad you saw the light, or didn't see it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Turn your eotech off and on one in a while.
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airhasz View Post
    Turn your eotech off and on one in a while.
    That kind if goes along with the just change your battery everyone in a while. When I've been staring through a scope for 7-8 hours and then grab my m4 to make a move, it's just something I didn't even think to do. Granted I won't make that mistake again, I'd rather stop tossing batteries before every hunt and have to keep flipping my optic on and off. Having the sight go down is a big deal, and now it's going to cause me to constantly flip the optic on and off in order to prevent it again.

I would rather just try a new system I can leave on, and stays on

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would consider trying an Eotech myself if not for this feature.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    What model, revision, and how many rounds on it? That sounds more like the battery connectors were worked loose from the first shot than it just happening to hit the 8 hour shutoff before you managed to get your second shot.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    What model, revision, and how many rounds on it? That sounds more like the battery connectors were worked loose from the first shot than it just happening to hit the 8 hour shutoff before you managed to get your second shot.
    It is an XPS2-0, and I thought the same thing. I ran a full mag through rapid fire and the sight functioned fine. It didn't even dawn on me that I just hit the 8 hour shutoff until a little later.

If it was a short from firing, then I absolutely will want to move to a different RDS, I'm going to be out in the freezing rain with this setup again all day tomorrow. We will see how it works.
    Last edited by jmoney; 12-12-13 at 21:20.

Feedback Score
    To answer your question, most people find the Aimpoint T1 to be a very reasonable alternative to its bigger brother. Yes, the Comp M4 is slightly quicker in my hands to get on target, but the weight, size, and cost savings of the T1 make it a reasonable alternative. FWIW, I also had PRK (i.e. LASIK for real men who can take the pain) last year. I've had no problems with the dot in the T1 on my SCAR 16S or the Comp M4 on my 17S.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoney View Post
    My question is whether or not the comp m4 dot is easier/faster to pick up than the micro. I have had LASIK which can make a dot seem a little off, but not enough to make me put a variable scope on my lw m4
    I cant speak from a lasik pointof view but someone who has extensively used an M2, M4s, and now a 4 moa T1 I can speak for. My last purchase was the M4s because I wanted the larger tube and I thought the T1 looked "dainty"! After a long discussion with a couple of Aimpoint employees and a few industry professionals, I decided to try the T1. I traded my comp M4 for a 4 moa T1. I will not go back!

Comparing a 2 moa T1 to a 2 moa m4 tubesize, I found it the same to pick up the dot but with less clutter around the sight (larger/smaller body).

As for MOA, I like the 4 moa better for CQB which is my sole use. The 4 seems a little easier to pick up faster.

The 2 moa was better for longer shooting or for adding a magnifier as it covers less of the target.

With that said, I have shot silhoutte steel at 250-300 without a mag and no problems. Its just not as precise for "group size shooting".

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Does the 8 hr thing reset by adjusting brightness or do you have to turn it on/off? I only have one Eotech (EXPS 3-0) and have never run it longer than 2 hrs at a time. I get the low battery blink about every three months whether I turn it on or not, which is why everything else wears an Aimpoint.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast