Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Eotech 8 hour shut off...I finally get it

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WGG View Post
    I can't believe that L3 hasn't changed the software to allow the user to deactivate the auto shutoff feature given all the complaints about this feature of the EOTechs. It would seem that would have been easier to do than the redesign on the battery compartment.
    I agree that the end user should at least retain the option to disable the auto shut-off feature, but it's probably a non-issue for most users. I don't find it bothersome or inconvenient in the least. If you're really putting it to use, chances are you're constantly manipulating the brightness adjustments anyway, which re-sets the auto shut-off timer as previously mentioned. I imagine they'd consider the option if feedback pertaining to the feature and requests from end users in the field were frequent enough. Other than Uncle-Bob-Internet-Commando, who else is complaining?

Sent from my piece of s**t phone using Tapatalk2 (which can be equally unreliable when coupled with a junk phone)
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The eight hour shutoff is a non issue for real world users. During the course of an 8 hour mission, you will adjust the brightness levels several times, thus resetting the optic's time line. I know this first hand, from running missions that lasted 2 hours, to those that lasted several days, and I never once looked down my rifle to see clear glass. The OP's explanation of being out and about for 8 hours hunting doesn't really place the blame on the optic... And I would bet that whatever brightness setting that he turned it on 8 hours ago probably wasn't the proper one for the evening.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there's a reason that every rifle that went into Abbotobad had an EOTech on it. If you have ever been in a running gunfight, and I have, there is no FASTER optic than an EOTech, other than point shooting. I'm not talking about a square range, in a controlled environment, where you are calculating during your jog when to squeeze the trigger and some dude with a beard is yelling "Bust 'em!" I'm talking about when you are in a full blown sprint, you can't hear a damn thing, and the dude with the beard is the guy you're trying to shoot. There is no comparison in that situation between an EOTech and an Aimpoint. In that situation the guy who puts the round on target faster wins, and when it comes to speed, it's an L3 product.

Now if your weapon is being taken to a lease for shits and giggles and you randomly stumble upon some hogs(which I am jealous, I've been trying to hunt them for a while), choose the optic that let's you be lazy and leave it on. And don't get butthurt with the lazy comment, because that is exactly what it is when you don't feel the need to turn a knob when you use something. I don't leave my PVS-14's on when they aren't in use, and that doesn't make them inferior.

Aimpoint makes a great product- depending on what you are doing, but all of the classes and ranges in the world can't simulate the real thing, or the speed necessary during it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    The product description on the manufacturer's website, Tech Specs tab....

http://www.aimpoint.com/us/products/...2e8f347efeab07
    Coupled with a 2 moa dot, seems like a no brainer. Might have to snag a couple for a few rifles I have sitting naked.

Feedback Score

Eotech 8 hour shut off...I finally get it

I've been using an EOTech in a police role for several years. The optic did break once and I had to send it to L3 for repair, which they did for free even though it was out of warranty.

Generally my rifle sits up front with me with the EOTech off, I don't leave it on all shift because I don't take it out every day. However I have iron sights up all the time in case I have to jump out and start shooting with no time to turn on the EOTech. And most likely in that situation I'll be jumping out with my P226 shooting because even getting the rifle out of the lock takes time.

When I'm on the way to a call or stop that sounds like a rifle is needed, I'll turn the EOTech on. Once I have the rifle out I'll make the brightness adjustments and if its a really long call I'm usually adjusting the brightness up or down a few notches based upon ambient light or background change... Therefore I have never experience the auto-off while actually using the EOTech. If I throw it back in the car and forget to turn it off, at least I won't burn through a set of batteries on my days off. The department doesn't provide me with CR123a batteries, so I don't mind saving battery life with auto-off.

For real life application, I love the holographic reticule. Its easy to acquire if I'm wearing a helmet, gas mask, or laying in some odd position. Even if I can barely see the reticule I know where the rounds are going. I use the outer ring to estimate hold over if making CQB shots, for example headshot at 10 meters, place the lower part of the reticule where you want the round to go. Also, with moving targets you can use the rings to lead targets.

Just my thoughts on the EOTech, I also like the Aimpoint PRO a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ronin64; 02-05-14 at 11:10.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456