Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EOTech advice?

Feedback Score

EOTech advice?

I read the EOTech thread and did search, but I need a little more info. I was leaning towards an Aimpoint, but I have run into a deal that's too good to pass up. I'm leaning towards a 551.A65 because of size. Any opinions on this EOTech..good or bad. The only bad I could find was battery type and battery life...any other ills?

Feedback Score
    I've heard they have a propensity to be unreliable in the heat. Not sure if it's a design issue or a function of the battery.

If you are leaning toward an Eotech, I'd recommend a 512 which takes the AA's. More reliable and better battery life.

You'll probably end up getting a riser anyway so you can achieve a lower third cowitness, whether you go with a 511 or 512. Once you use a riser, the added length of the 512's battery compartment is no longer an issue. It's true they weigh a couple of ounces more than a 511, but I believe they are a better unit. JMHO.

If Aimpoint had a circle/dot reticule I'd go with an Aimpoint. But they don't, so I go with an Eotech instead.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    If you get an Eotech, get the one with the AA bats, and then start saving up again for an Aimpoint to replace it when it takes a shit......
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    get a AA version (512) and a LaRue QD riser

Feedback Score
    Keep leaning toward the Aimpoint.....

Feedback Score

I own a 552 (did own a 512) and like them both.

511/551 use N size batts (which don't grow on trees), and have a very, very short battery life.

IIRC, EO claims 200 hrs. but when turned up to highest setting, they won't go nearly that long.

I've tested AA EOs with alkaline and lithium batts, and get only 88 hrs on the highest setting (EO says 1100 hrs on setting 12?).

AA or CR123 (5x2, 553, 557) are the way to go if you go EO.

You can get AA batts everywhere.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Larry Vickers has a very good saying about handguns that goes something like this: "If you're going to treat your handgun like a lawn mower get a Glock".

I find that this applies to red dot optics also. If you're going to treat your ARs optic like a lawn mower, get an Aimpoint!

http://www.downrange.tv/show2/
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've had a 551 for about 5 or 6 years now and have been happy with it. As others have said, battery life isnt the longest with it, but I havent noticed it to be extremely short or anything. With that being said, that is the only EoTech I own. My other 5 optics are all Aimpoints (mixture of M2, ML2, C3, and T1s).

Feedback Score
    I read you all loud and clear....I was really considering the Eotech because I could get one for $150....I read the optic threads and realize that Aimpoint is the way to go, but I wondered if getting an Eotech that cheap would make it worth the money. I guess I'll stick with the irons. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    How exactly do you get a legitimate, real 551 for $150? I would assume it's an airsoftie for that price, IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast