Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Army Chief's Colt 1911s

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

Army Chief's Colt 1911s

Montanadave sent me a PM asking for details on the Colt Rail Gun project that Chuck talked about in another thread. Dave wanted some details on the parts, components and modifications done to the gun. I thought the best way to do with without screwing up was to copy Chuck's own words taken from the original thread:

I has long wanted a Rail Gun, but had little interest in, or need of, the more exclusive model to achieve the same ends. Of course, I sort of went overboard in the process, and didn't exactly end up saving any money, but I'm certainly pleased with the end result.

Apologies for the underwhelming photography. The work was done on John Harrison's bench, and is simply extraordinary, just as you would expect.The rear unit is indeed a Harrison 004 night sight (single, deep-seated vial). The front is actually the standard Colt unit; however it was modified a bit, and sent off to Triijicon for a night sight tube, as well.

Finish-wise, it's a stainless gun that was just shot at about a 50-50 oxide/bead mix to matte it out a bit, yes. The work that went into it in terms of breaking the edges, surface prep and such was obviously more extensive, and done in conjunction with a fairly comprehensive customization/upgrade package. Not really a "standard" CRG any longer, but definitely the gun that I was looking for.

B Side view.

My intent was to put the gun through a thorough, but understated upgrade in terms of user features, so I opted for serrations on the front/rear straps, serrations along the rounds of the slide top, Wilson's Bulletproof ambi, Harrison's short trigger and slide stop, the usual ignition system upgrades -- all Harrison -- and a few other touches, like a round butt and flush-cut slide stop pin. Without going into the full build sheet (Custom Carry Package), this configuration basically resulted in a gun that is nicely-appointed, but still very purposed in terms of real-world usefulness. In other words, my idea of the ultimate evolution of the Old Warhorse.

It's got a X300U on it at the moment, and the combination pretty much exceeds all expectations. Great gun.

AC

This project came about in early September. Chuck always admired the work of John Harrison's but knowing John's long waiting list, he didn't think his dream was going to happen. One more thing was needed, a Colt Rail Gun. He searched high and low on the internet, with the help of our mutual friend Terry Peters of Texas, they located one. It was actually a slightly used CRG that Terry was selling on consignment. Terry quickly took it off the sale block and reserved it for Chuck. What Chuck didn't know was Terry was going to present the gun to Chuck as a gift. A gift for their long term friendship, for Chuck's service in the military and for an all around good guy fellow moderator at the 1911forum.

With a suitable base gun now secured, we needed the cooperation of John Harrison. Having been friends for over 15 years, I stepped in and arm twisted, blackmailed, begged John to do this one for Chuck. Actually it didn't take much persuasion on my part. As soon as I explained that it was for Chuck, John gladly took the project. He broke all the rules and probably pissed off many customers by moving Chuck's gun to the front of the list. He worked furiously and got the gun done in record time. It actually took longer to wait for the front sight to be sent off to get the tritium insert installed at Trijicon.

Chuck took delivery of the gun one day before my visit in November. We got to admire, fondle and dry fired the gun during our wonderful but too short a visit.

Hope you guys enjoy it. We miss Chuck very much.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Fantastic looking piece. That is exactly how I would set up a rail gun. I have been telling everyone who won't run away that the way to set one up is a heavy bead blast.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Agreed, that is a very serious-looking piece of ironmongery.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks, Sam, for taking the time to set this up and pass along the information regarding AC's final project. Now if I could just get my stupid browser to load the images.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Worthy of it's new owner indeed. Really glad he got this one in time, hopefully Matt will share some pictures of the newly engraved one with us when he gets it back.
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Picture working fine for me, must be your rotten apple.

Those pictures were the only one Chuck had a chance to post.

BTW, the Rail Gun was NOT Chuck's last project. There is another one that's being finished now. This one is promised to be the most beautiful one, it will go to Chuck's daughter. I believe the Rail Gun was given to one of his sons.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    hmmm, what's going on with the pictures. I'm on my third computer (desktop, laptop and tablet), I can see them just fine even on my android phone. lol.

What do you computer geeks think is the problem? The IT dudes always tell me to clear out my cookie or clear out my cache.

Can you see these?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Bingo on my NEW Kindle Fire HDX.

Thanks again, Sam. And thanks for the correction. Henceforth, this CRG will be known as A.C.'s penultimate project.

Feedback Score
    Very nice Sam, thank you for sharing.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Now I can see it.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast