Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Travel Kit

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    This year at Thanksgiving we took a two week road trip to visit the family in North Texas and North West Arkansas. (1500 mile trip) I thought hard on what to pack and kept a eye on the weather. I had just bought my wife a new 4Runner and she wanted to take it. My Super Duty is all outfitted with my road Kit and every inch of space behind and under the seats are utlized for an adventure but not the new truck. So I drug out an old three day pack and stocked it up. For Arms I decided to carry my Ruger 10/22 Take Down outfitted with Nodak Spud sights and 5 BX25 mags and a 333 round box of ammo. I carried my off duty Sig 229 in my Galco Sholder rig and the wife carried her M&P 9. I packed several wool blankets, small packing sleeping bag, some food and a case of bottled water, small shovel and tow strap kit from my old Jeep and a 20# tub of kitty litter for the Gato. It turns out we ran into the Ice storm in NW Ark the week after Thanksgiving. We Sat on I-40 for 5 hours behind a Jack Knifed big rig. Boy was I glad for the wool blankets and the food and water and had to use the kittylitter a couple of times when we had to stop to get traction to get moving......i have always been a big proponet of planing for the worst and now I think my wife is starting to see things my way.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyhawk View Post
    This year at Thanksgiving we took a two week road trip to visit the family in North Texas and North West Arkansas. (1500 mile trip) I thought hard on what to pack and kept a eye on the weather. I had just bought my wife a new 4Runner and she wanted to take it. My Super Duty is all outfitted with my road Kit and every inch of space behind and under the seats are utlized for an adventure but not the new truck. So I drug out an old three day pack and stocked it up. For Arms I decided to carry my Ruger 10/22 Take Down outfitted with Nodak Spud sights and 5 BX25 mags and a 333 round box of ammo. I carried my off duty Sig 229 in my Galco Sholder rig and the wife carried her M&P 9. I packed several wool blankets, small packing sleeping bag, some food and a case of bottled water, small shovel and tow strap kit from my old Jeep and a 20# tub of kitty litter for the Gato. It turns out we ran into the Ice storm in NW Ark the week after Thanksgiving. We Sat on I-40 for 5 hours behind a Jack Knifed big rig. Boy was I glad for the wool blankets and the food and water and had to use the kittylitter a couple of times when we had to stop to get traction to get moving......i have always been a big proponet of planing for the worst and now I think my wife is starting to see things my way.

Very good points. I too am taking my wife's Expedition as apposed to my F250...harder to plan when it is from scratch. I have a very small Snug-Pak sleeping bag that I am going to put with my kit. That and the blankets that we always take should cover me in the event of it getting really cold.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thankfully shooting is a steady part of all our family get togethers. So loading up with an ar, few pistols and a plate carrier is an expected. On top of that I throw my "family camping" pack in. It is an ilbe pack with ecws sleeping bag system (4 part army deal), a tent, sleeping pad, packs of datrex bars, water filter, a few disposable ponchos + mylar blankets, lots of ways to make fire etc. I can live out of that bag for weeks year round and keep the family warm and fed for a week on a stretch. The ilbe might be heavy but it sure has lots of room. Put the camping pack and gun fun together and we are good to go. Both our vehicles have good emergency repair kits and stay above 3/4 on gas at all times so switching rides isn't much of a hindrance.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    I carry a full kit because I have faith that people will fall apart very fast in a disaster situation. I have to travel through several populated areas and if something bad happens I KNOW that people will turn into animals very fast. See my quote of myself below……….no truer words have been spoken. Better safe than dead.
    Bingo bango! For road trips I will throw in a Kalashnikov side folder, minimalist chest rig with loaded e-bloc mags. If it's going to be Mad Maxx on the roads I want a .30 caliber puncher handy.

BTW, great idea for a thread.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    We too went traveling to visit relatives..via automobile but I travel a lot for work so some is via air...I use one standard load out kit for guns and ammo, the only exception is the if traveling via air the long gun left behind.

Standard is two pistols, one Glock 17, one Glock 19, with 6 extra magazines,small fixed blade knife, good quality folding knife, small parts/repair kit for Glocks, matches, lighter, water purification tablets, small 'blow out' med kit, and 150 rounds in factory boxes (important if by air), spare contacts and a small OTC med assortment. All of this, except the pistols, fits inside of an old fanny pack so it is convenient to store/transport. Two Raven holsters are used as well.

For long gun I have an UZI that, with the barrel removed (takes less then 10 sec on/off) fits into a standard three day pack so no going into/out of a hotel or home with telltale long guns in cases. Yes I know it is only a 9mm long gun but gives me both accuracy and some small extended range while maintaining ammo compatibility. The major reason is that it is concealable.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Cool truck load out

thank you doc!!!!!!! how u been ?????
    anyone who does not carry a complete load out in these times is brain dead to quote the great "tdl" who is currently retired freezing uh make that living in bum-f--k idaho.
    sbr 8 mags 1 tracer 1 ss-109 car doors and such
    nods can.,all the standard stuff. we carry
    pistol 6 mags wife has her own side arm
    chest pouch web gear
    shoot me 1st vest. i know dont say it but a lot dont know. mine is blue denem.
    food long term +stripped mre's
    camelbak,8 bottle of water
    1st aid kit
    tauma kit
    approiate clothing per season hvy belt holster in pants knife on belt. stuff in pockets
    gortex set up +gloves
    hiking boots
    warm sleeping kit if winter is a factor exwc's poncho line camo poncho
    100 ft of p=cord (of course)
    randall knife (2) big little
    gollock
    incredible amount of fire stuff DONT USE BIC LIGHTER they are shit get a blast match
    jet boil
    huge amount of coffee
    3 day li wt pack
    std car stuff +4 cans of air. patch kit tiny compressor.
    more i cant member""""
    i use a truck vault so i would pack from there as needed
    i live in n.ohio current temp at my house is 9 f-----g degree's outside
    have woke up to snow in wyoming in late july. not heavy only 2"
    i fish a lot out west and will visit hackathorn (tdl),next summer. will add 1000 rds of ammo
    lots more food
    small car repait kit from my dealer.
    tire chains winter stuff
    usually dont carry but that far u never know.i dont care what anyone else carry's
    i am getting home to my wife and dogs

DO NOT GET IN THE WAY.

jjw
    Last edited by jjw; 01-03-14 at 22:34. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    jjw,
    Good load out. I am doing well.....exhausting holiday season....

Do you pack it all in a duffle bag, a Pack of some sort, or several small bags?

I like to use an ACOG on my travel carbine. I do that and irons. I try to stay away from more batteries when in that kind of situation. Any thoughts on this?
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I base my kits on weight because if we have to bail from the vehicle a big load of pre-stored gear is going to be left behind do to weight.

Mr. & Mrs. two day packs each have,

Four bottles of water
    One package of 3600 calorie survival cookies
    Six 33rd Glock 9mm magazines
    Foil survival blanket, foil sleeping bag, plastic tube shelter
    One fixed blade field knife made by Glock
    One sealed container of water proof matches
    One sealed container of Vaseline cotton balls
    One small GRS radio with ear piece and 10 year storage life batteries
    One small set of Binoculars 8x20mm
    50 feet Paracord
    One patrol sized GSW kit
    One small flash light with a green filter plus extra 10 year storage life batteries
    One LifeStraw personal water filter
    One Wind breaker/rain shell jacket.

The kids packs only contain water, survival cookies, Foil survival blanket, foil sleeping bag, plastic tube shelter, One LifeStraw personal water filter and Wind breaker/rain shell jacket.

We always have are Glock Pistols except were the wife's CCW is not recognized or open carry is not allowed and then I will carry both guns under my L/E status and arm her if conditions warrant.
    We also check all magazine capacity restrictions for the states traveled and have a supply of ten or fifteen round versions for use as needed.
    All the above fits in mini back packs which are black in color.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 01-04-14 at 15:26.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    PA Patriot. Well thought out kit. Question. As LE are you required to carry 10 rd mags in 10 rd states ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My 7 iron is more accurate than my capabilities. Same with my AR.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I went to Chicago for 2 weeks...so...I carried my flashlight and my Spyderco Delia

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast