Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10.5 upper, which one?

Feedback Score

10.5 upper, which one?

Hey all, I decided to do the sbr thing.

I am kinda stuck. I had been considering a Model 1 upper but have reconsidered. I am now leaning towards a CMMG but the LMT seems to be the preferred.

If I got the CMMG am I really give up that much quality for the price? I tell you, I really like the LMT but it is quite a bit more $$.
    What makes the LMT so much better than the CMMG?

I would really appreciate the help.
    Mark

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    There are three LMT 10.5 CQBR uppers in my area. One is mine and all of them are run pretty extensively as far as round count goes. I think the reason you'll find that LMT is the most prefered is the reliability that comes with the short barrel package from them.

The LMT is also Mil. issue so it comes with a pretty heavily field tested name.

Feedback Score
    If I understand correctly, they have the MK18 contract? I would prefer to go with the best...who wouldn't? I guess I just want to know if I went with the CMMG that I would be getting a decent setup based on the price. Put it this way, if you couldn't buy a LMT for whatever reason, what would be your second choice...CMMG?

I am almost sold on the CMMG because of the price, but what do I give up by not buying the LMT?
    Am I giving up accuracy/performance, quality & durability or not?
    Mark

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    A CMMG 10.3" upper is $525 with BCG, handguards, and charging handle.

An LMT will run you $485 for the upper, $130 for the BCG, $40 for handguards and $23 for a charging handle for a grand total of $678, or $153 overall premium over the CMMG.

If you're opting for a railed handguard and want to omit the handguards, the prices go to $525 and $638 for a premium of $133.

Personally, I'd pay the premium. I can't quantify that because CMMG seems to change their specs as often as most people change their underwear, but having the consistency and the proven track record of the LMT would be worth it to me.

Many vendors will also give you discounts if you order a complete LMT upper with rails from them. Food for thought.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I can't quantify that because CMMG seems to change their specs as often as most people change their underwear, but having the consistency and the proven track record of the LMT would be worth it to me.
    My GUESS would be that CMMG is jumping back and forth between whatever suppliers are cheapest at any given time. Thus, the inconsistancy... but that's just my uninformed guess.

If I were going 10.5, I wouldn't consider anything BUT LMT based on their reputation for reliability.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Many vendors will also give you discounts if you order a complete LMT upper with rails from them. Food for thought.
    Really?
    I really would prefer the LMT, just trying to justify the extra price. If I could find a decent priced vendor that could get me the upper, FF rail of my choice, and the BCG, I would be hard pressed to get the CMMG. I would like to at least save on shipping! Also, what bolt is a $130? I was thinking of going for a Ameetec for $180...wanted to try out that chrome thing!
    Mark

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Forget the Chrome thing, and call Grant at GandRtactical.com. Call to get a quote on your set up. Mention this site. I bet he'll make you a great deal.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Dang, now I want the LMT. OK, I will give Grant a call and see what kinda deal I can get for myself. I was hoping to get it all done in one shot, I may not be able to do it getting the LMT. If not I guess I will just have start saving some more.

Bolts?? I haven't seen a thread discussing the different bolts out there. I didn't feel the need to spend $250 bucks on one. What is the $130 one mentioned above??

I really appreciate the help so far! That is why I came here instead of ARF.com
    Mark

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    LMT BCG from G&R

Definitely give Grant a call and see what he can do for you.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the help!
    I am on his site now making my list! I will definately be giving him a call.
    Mark

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast