Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Why the wide range of prices on lower receivers?

Feedback Score
    One other thing to consider, is to buy a lower made by a company who (1) will do a great job of standing behind their product if there is a problem and (2) will still be around many years from now.

We all know that every now and then, every company produces the random problem, out of spec lower (some more than others). But companies deal with that type of problem differently. Also, a lot of people are stocking up on stripped lowers right now and storing them. It may be many years before they get used for a build and the owner discovers a problem with the lower. I'm sure some of the odd companies right now now won't be around, and some companies that are still around will be better at dealing with those problems than others.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    I used a PSA lower & parts kit for my first build using a DD M4 upper. I got the lower for $49 at one of their Memorial Day sales maybe 5-6 years ago. The front take down hole was (& still is), a bit too tight on all my uppers, but other than that it's still going strong.

Recently, when I decided I wanted my BCM RECCE upper to have it's own dedicated lower, I bought one of the BCM lowers that Grant has. Another PSA lower probably would have worked just fine, but I guess I've become somewhat of a snob. As far as I'm concerned, the extra money for the BCM was well spent because I got exactly what I wanted.
    Last edited by Ironbutt; 12-21-13 at 09:27.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I had problems with the single Stag I built on, but others have good experiences. I owned a Daniel Defense that was out of spec...but you won't see me badmouthing DD at all and I probably wouldn't find the same problem if I selected 100 at random and inspected them.
    Not that I want to jump in here and defend Stag, however, I can't help but notice the hypocrisy in this statement.

You had a bad lower from Stag and from DD and you'll run Stag down but not DD? How does that even make any sense?

I have never bought or used a Stag anything and have no opinion on them, I just find this somewhat resembles group think.

ETA: Does anyone know from whom BCM sources their lowers? Is it Aero Precision who appear to make a lot of lowers for various kit builders?
    Last edited by HKGuns; 12-21-13 at 15:00.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by garand1945 View Post
    My first two builds were Stag when the OLL craze launched in California. Then a buddy turned me on here, and I keep learning a lot. Now I want top tier rifle so that is what I stick to. The BCM and LMT assembled lowers (Grant has the BMC for $380 blem) are hard to beat for true value. For me it comes down to the fact that I am not able to gauge and measure a lower to ensure it is in spec. I don't have the tools, the TDP, or the experience. I've decided to trust the top tier trainers and their experience shared from classes as to what breaks and what doesn't. Filthy 14 is as good an endorsement for BMC as you can get. I also don't want to send thousands of rounds down range in an effort to vet a second or third tier lower. If I were just building a blaster grade for a range toy, I'd consider another second tier lower build if budget were an issue, but I would never feel good about it if I had to bet my life on it. I'm not Mil/LEO so low odds I will ever be in a fighting situation, but I like that quality in a gun and am willing to pay for it.
    Nothing wrong with deciding to allow a knowledgeable dealer to guide your purchases. If you wish to pay for this service it certainly is your right. There is a downside to this approach in that you will be at the mercy of the one with the knowledge and will never really know what it is YOU like or prefer. I liken it to grilling the "perfect " steak or finding the best steakhouse you are willing to pay for.

I am very fortunate to have an accomplished AR armorer /Smith/machinist as a friend and neighbor. The knowledge and resources he has provided me makes me cringe when contemplating purchasing a blemished complete mil -spec lower for $380.
    Last edited by quaesitor logica; 12-21-13 at 15:40.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567