Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VV N135 in 223/5.56

Feedback Score

VV N135 in 223/5.56

I obtained some of this powder a few months ago and want to use it for my practice load.
    Cases are mostly LC and bullets are Hornady 55 FMJ with cannelures. All my sticks are 5.56 chambered.

24.5 grains of it fills the case to just below the bullet base and I was thinking to start with 23.5 grains and working my way up to 24.5 grains in .2 grain increments, 10 cases each.

I wanted to know if anyone here who has experience with this powder has a consistent load that they might share.

Thanks Gents

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by redhands View Post
    I obtained some of this powder a few months ago and want to use it for my practice load.
    Cases are mostly LC and bullets are Hornady 55 FMJ with cannelures. All my sticks are 5.56 chambered.

24.5 grains of it fills the case to just below the bullet base and I was thinking to start with 23.5 grains and working my way up to 24.5 grains in .2 grain increments, 10 cases each.

I wanted to know if anyone here who has experience with this powder has a consistent load that they might share.

Thanks Gents
    VV N-135 is a great powder, but it is a bit fast. I shot this powder for years behind 80 gr SMK's. It was a highly developed 600yd load know as V8 (USAMU developed), all loaded in LC brass w/ M41 primers. The burn rate changed with 135 so we eventually got away from it - too fast for 80's. Behind a 55gr FMJ, you should be fine. Your starting loads should be fine (i.e. 23.5) - the increments shoud be ok too. My experience suggests that you may find a sweet spot right around 23.9 - 24.1. Watch for pressure - as it will come on fast with 135. As a side note - it meters extremely well.
    opsoff

"I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred shitheads"- Colonel Charlie Beckwith

Feedback Score
    opsoff

That is the exact reply I was looking for. Thank You.
    For anyone else who might search this I will post results in a month or two.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Bear in mind that since 135 is faster than it's previous rate - it will peak earlier - i.e. you'll have higher pressures up front and the remaining gas may effect port pressure - the port pressure may not be sufficient to cycle reliably.
    opsoff

"I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred shitheads"- Colonel Charlie Beckwith

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by opsoff1 View Post
    Bear in mind that since 135 is faster than it's previous rate - it will peak earlier - i.e. you'll have higher pressures up front and the remaining gas may effect port pressure - the port pressure may not be sufficient to cycle reliably.
    Right idea but in this case not enough to matter. 135 changed very little, but enough to make it less than desirable for heavyweights in 223. He should not suffer this problem loading behind 55's, 135 still works A-ok for the lightweights.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Bumping this one rather than a new thread.

Just bought 16 lbs of this from Bruno's for less than Hodgdon's prices right now. Insane, but picked up price works out to less than $35 per lb. I'm hoping it runs like H322.
    Last edited by markm; 01-26-23 at 12:11.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

VV N135 in 223/5.56

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Bumping this one rather than a new thread.

Just bought 16 lbs of this from Bruno's for less than Hodgdon's prices right now. Insane, but picked up price works out to less than $35 per lb. I'm hoping it runs like H322.
    Oh boy, now you are doomed. You’re gonna shoot it, like it and will have shelves full of expensive VV in less than a year.

PB gonna be stylin at 1000 now!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    It's messed up that I bought some to SAVE MONEY. How effed up is this?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The last time I made loads using V135 was probably 2005 for 45-55 grain Vmax loads. It burned super clean from what I remember and ran great in my 20" AR varmint setup and 26" Remington 700VS.

I don't know exactly why I went away from it. May have been hard to get for a few years so I moved to Benchmark for those loads.

Feedback Score
    N135 is a great sub for H4895 too.

If you want a Varget clone but cleaner, N140

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast