Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For those of you running SR-15s with the A5 system...

Feedback Score
    That's not really off the subject. The original early SR-15 E3s had smaller gas ports tuned to 5.56 loadings with the H0 carbine buffer. People complained that they couldn't run junk ammo. They opened up the gas port to satisfy those folks, so an H1 buffer is G2G in later models with good ammo. People also complained to the ammo manufacturers and they stepped up their game somewhat. What that ended up meaning was that there is now better economy ammo that works better in most rifles ( including SR-15s) and those SR-15s can get away with a slightly heavier buffer than what is factory provided.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr h View Post
    Hope you dont mind but I have experience with the a5, just not with kac stuff but my barrels are g.i., fn 20's, colt a2 20's and m4 14.5's. All of which seem to have smaller gas ports than barrels made by different companies with the same length, just based on ejection performance.

I have noticed weak 223 ammo including wolf does not cycle properly in cold weather, below 50ish, with the h2 buffers.

I also had one fn 20" that short stroked with imi m193 brown box and a h2 buffer at a temp of 40 degrees.

Since then I have started using h1 and h0 buffers. Then dont feel all than much different when using federal m193, especially in the longer barrels.

In my colt 14.5 with imi 193 my son was still getting sluggish carrier movement in 40-50 deg weather so I went back to a carbine stock. Partially due to improper shouldering but still. I even opened this gas port up by about .002".

Great feedback. Thank you. At last someone who's done comparative testing with various guns and conditions. I was surprised that most people would recommend H2 and H3 buffers for pretty much everything, yet BCM include H0 in their A5 kit. Seems like BCM is correct in their buffer choice to cover a range of ammo and weather condition.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12