Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell Them While you still can

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Tell Them While you still can

First of all, I'm not starting this thread as a "pity party" or a shameless attempt to get everyone's sympathy posts. I appreciate such sentiments, but save it.

I started this thread as a cautionary tale that you never know when your number is up.

This past Monday night, I went to a friend's house to collect a UPS package I had sent to his address because I know he's there all the time, and I knew his address is a lot easier to find than mine.

First, I couldn't get him on the phone all day. I started getting kind of pissed that he had broken his promise to stay home all day.

When I got to his home, I saw the UPS "attempted delivery" sticker on his door. All his vehicles were there. His screen door was locked but his main door was slightly ajar. I knocked on the door, and yelled inside.

Nothing.

To make a long story short, I decided no one leaves his door ajar this time of year, so I called 911.

Sure enough, my friend of 20+ years had unexpectedly died, probably the very morning my UPS package was slated to arrive. The sheriff's deputies said he most likely had gotten out of bed, put his pants on, and keeled over.

That's how I'd like to go: quick. But it sure was unexpected, and I'm still in shock.

You never know when your number is up.

Tell your loved ones how you feel. Don't wait until it's too late.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Damn man maybe it was a good thing you sent it there! Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Feedback Score
    Very sad. Sorry for your loss.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    You do not get over loss, you get used to it, and learn to live with it.

We are in this for keeps guys, if you aren't appreciating the people in your lives you are doing yourself a disservice.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Words to live by.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I am so sorry for your loss. We all have lost too many close friends and family members lately.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo_Man View Post
    You do not get over loss, you get used to it, and learn to live with it.
    Definitely. One day when I was 8 my dad went to work, and I never saw him again...he died at work. I am 45 and I still have dreams about him. I tell my wife and kids several times a day what they mean to me and how much I love them.

Doc, tough news and good perspective.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    I tell my wife and kids several times a day what they mean to me and how much I love them.
    Good on you! Keep doing it!
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks, Doc. Those are wise words to keep in mind. We are all going to die at some time and there is no guarantee for any of us to make 85 or 95. We've had several friends, mostly fathers of teens die in their 40s and 50s. Some suddenly and some after long illness. And some of the teens we've known have died in vehicle accidents. Damn sad.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    It's true, I hate hearing people say, "I don't tell my wife/kids/whoever enough how much I love them." People can die for no reason at all.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast