Thread: Where to purchase takedown pins

Quick Karl Guest

Where to purchase takedown pins

I have a Colt M4 upper and a MEGA semi-auto lower, each with .250" takedown pin holes front and rear that line up perfectly...

I'm having the gawd-awfulest time finding M-16 type takedown pins such that you can pop the pins and separate the upper from the lower while the pins remain extended in the lower, like in the old days!

I tried Brownell's and got the strangest looking pins I ever saw with a large flange and ball-detent on the opposite end - not what I want / they're going back.

Where can I buy?

Feedback Score

Are you trying to build a lower and need standard take down pins?

I think you need items 20,21,& 22. Two of each.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sch...ver+All+Models

-David

AR-15 owner/shooter since 1998

Quick Karl Guest
    So, part #20 is the same for the front and rear?

I'm getting old so my memory is fading but I was thinking the front pin head was a lil different from the rear pin?????

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    the front and rear are different. the rear is the takedown pin and the front is the pivot pin. check out the diagram here:
    http://www.armalite.com/catitem2.asp...9-dc09b1a5bf2c

Feedback Score
    order some extra take down/pivot pin spring detents while you're at it. its an easy part to lose during installation....always good to have a few extra.

the pins are different, but the springs and detents are the same.

does your colt upper use non-standard take down & pivot pins? did the original lower have non-standard FCG pins as well?

Feedback Score
    Brownells is good. Order 1 part 231-000-104 take down pin (rear) and 1 part 231-000-098 pivot pin (front) along with 1 part 989-015-024 take down pin spring (comes as a 5 pack) and 2 part 231-000-095 take down detent. As 9x19 said get extra detents as they are easy to lose. That will take care of your problem as long as you have .250 pin holes on the upper and lower as you stated.
    Billy

US Army Retired, NRA Life member, M/C mechanic, Gunsmith

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    the front and rear are different. the rear is the takedown pin and the front is the pivot pin. check out the diagram here:
    http://www.armalite.com/catitem2.asp...9-dc09b1a5bf2c
    I stand corrected; thanks.

The only front pin that I saw on the Brownell's diagram was the one with the screw in the end of it.

-David

AR-15 owner/shooter since 1998

Quick Karl Guest
    Thanks everyone!

I mentioned this dilema to a friend and surprise to me he had the exact parts and gave em to me , so I am good to go.

I just think it's easier to separate the upper from the lower and secure the upper in a padded vice for thorough bore cleaning - instead of having everything flopping around!

Quick Karl Guest
    UPDATE

The friend, who provided the Takedown pins, just gave me a brand spankin new genuine Colt, lower parts kit, and bolt!

I'm fricken ecstatic!

Feedback Score
    Quick Karl, as you said "it's nice to have friends". And it doesn't get much better than a Colt bolt.
    Billy

US Army Retired, NRA Life member, M/C mechanic, Gunsmith