Thread: What kind of 700 is this?

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

What kind of 700 is this?

I came across a Remington 700 at a gun shop today that I think is a 700P, but I'm not sure. I've never seen one in person. I wish I could have taken pictures, but since I didn't buy the gun the shop wouldn't allow it and I wasn't willing to make a $900 gamble. I asked if it was a 700 or a 700P and they asked me what a 700P was, so no headway there.

The barrel had a matte black finish similar to an SPS tactical. It was a 308, 26 inch barrel. Did not have the X-mark trigger (no adjustment screw on the trigger face, and the trigger face was not smooth, it had lines on it). Definitely did not have the hogue stock that the SPS has. The stock seemed like it was fiberglass, similar profile to the HS Precision (haven't seen one of those in person, either), and had two sling swivels up front. Price as $900. Barrel just said Remington 700 and 308 Win, no mention of twist rate or 700P.

Does this sound like a 700P? I always thought the 700P would have a little nicer finish than this. Other than the stock and trigger, this looked like a regular run of the mill Remington.
    Last edited by 125 mph; 12-28-13 at 12:25.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    If they would not allow a picture, ask them if you can write down the model number. Then you could search for that on Remington's website.

If they won't allow that, I'd find another store. Just my opinion, though.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Well my 700p makes no mention of it being a police gun on it anywhere. If you are sure its not a hogue or rem stock it could well be a police gun. Did the grip have palm swells? Also how can the store justify the price if they have no idea what in the hell they are selling.
    "Courage is being scared to death ,but saddling up anyways" John wayne

NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The 700p will have a parkerized finish. The trigger you mention sounds like the 40-x that is in my XCR tactial. Sounds to me like a 700p. This it? http://remingtonle.com/rifles/700p.htm

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Probably a good gun, but I would buy a Rem 700 5R for a little more. Either should be shooters.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Sounds like it might be the Sendero model. One of the original ones without the fluted barrel. I had one in 25-06, but sold it years ago. They are heavy!

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JW5219 View Post
    Sounds like it might be the Sendero model. One of the original ones without the fluted barrel. I had one in 25-06, but sold it years ago. They are heavy!
    I think the sendero model has the same barrel as the police guns, I could be wrong though, I was under the impression the pss came with e HS stock and the sendero came with Remington stocks.
    "Courage is being scared to death ,but saddling up anyways" John wayne

NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If it is a new rifle, ask to see the box and the box end will tell you exactly what it is.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TXinfidel View Post
    The 700p will have a parkerized finish. The trigger you mention sounds like the 40-x that is in my XCR tactial. Sounds to me like a 700p. This it? http://remingtonle.com/rifles/700p.htm
    It does look like that.

Quote Originally Posted by JW5219 View Post
    I didn't think the senderos came in 308. It was a heavy rifle. I was wondering if it might also be an older varmint.

Quote Originally Posted by austinN4 View Post
    If it is a new rifle, ask to see the box and the box end will tell you exactly what it is.
    That is an excellent idea. I'll do that if it's still there later this week, won't be able to make it for a few days.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Sounds like a 700 PSS
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.