Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: How many sbr owners without suppressors?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I didn't know whether to make a new thread or post here, hopefully someone gets some use out of this.

I've always been curious about the difference between an SBR and a suppressed SBR in weight and maneuverability. Unfortunately, for the longest time I only had one real SBR which was a dedicated suppressed setup. My others were 12.5" "do-it-alls" not easily compared.

I did some objective and subjective measuring of my newest 11.5" LW and compared it to my trusty 10.3".

The first rifle is

BCM 11.5" LW upper
    10" KMR Rail
    Aimpoint T1 in Larue Mount
    Troy F/R BUIS
    Surefire M300 in an IWC mount
    IWC QD sling mount
    Midwest Industries Rail Panels
    BCM VG KM

Magpul CTR
    BCM Gunfighter Grip
    Standard H Buffer
    VCAS Sling

It is 7lbs 1oz and 27.75" long as pictured.

The second rifle is
    DD 10.3" w/ AAC Muzzle Brake
    9" Centurion Rail
    M4-2000
    Aimpoint T1 in Larue Mount
    Troy F/R Buis
    Aimpoint T1
    Surefire M300 in Gear Sector mount
    Larue Index clips
    Magpul RVG Foregrip

Magpul CTR
    A5 Buffer assembly
    BCM Gunfighter grip
    VCAS Sling

It is 8lbs 11oz and 32" long as pictured.

(my scale stops working at 7lbs 8oz or something ridiculous )

I should begin by saying I'm a bit biased. I have shot a ton of rounds through my suppressed AR. At least 10,000. I've had it for years and it runs and runs. However, the 11.5" is really growing on me. I was running drills all day today and I still really preferred the suppressed AR. The weight difference isn't that noticable, which is remarkable considering the 11.5" is probably the lightest quality setup on the market. The suppressed AR seems to have less muzzle climb as well. I know if I threw a battlecomp on the 11.5" this would swing in the opposite direction, but the benefit of sound reduction is always going to lie with the suppressed AR and that is something worth making sacrifices for.

Surprisingly, in their current respective configurations, the suppressed AR seems much more practical (Fully admitting here that there were no vehicle ops or extremely close up engagement scenarios) There is a lot that goes into having a quieter gun. Much easier to communicate, less "distraction" of teammates having muzzle blast in your face and I did not notice any significant downsides. I say significant because there are a few. Namely, they are that you have an 800* furnace on the end of your muzzle. Transitioning to your secondary requires, umm, "luck" in not searing clothing, teammates, or anything else. While we should always be aware of where our muzzles are pointing, you'll quickly find out that doesn't necessarily coincide with where your muzzles are when it's acting like a light saber.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 05-17-14 at 22:50.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DanTSX View Post
    My BCM 11.5" is not suppressed, but is set up with an AAC 51T blackout flash hider. I was going to get
    Their mini can, but thinking of holding off because I find that the blackout does a great job at Eliminating flash and concussion. I don't find it all that loud either. Maybe a little louder than a 16". I had every intention of suppressing right away, but found that the rifle is so manageable and the difference so little, that I am dragging my feet on the can. Have recently thought of not doing the can at all.

I can't say the same about other 11.5" rifles that I've shot. Loud, concussive, and flashy. Other SBR owners that I shoot with are in agreement. I was wrong in my assumption that 10.5"-12.5" SBR's "needed" to be suppressed. As well as I like my setup, knowing this now, I am thinking of trying the BCM Kino 12.5" upper with a 51t to score a little more grip and sight radius.
    I would agree with this. I have an AAC brake on my 5.56 11.5" SBR, but my can is a 762SD and I almost never shoot it suppressed since I have a 300 BLK upper. I should probably pull the AAC brake and replace it with a Levang Linear from my parts box and see what I think. I shot Levangs years ago but went to 51-tooth devices on everything when I got my can. Of course it's loud with a brake on it, but putting the Levang back should make it bearable and let me work with it as a dedicated shorty and not a 18" (with can) suppressed setup.

Feedback Score
    I have a 10.5" noveske no suppressor yet. I have a saker on the way for it however. as of now the noise doesn't bother me indoors or outdoors. yea I get the occasional comment but other than that no complaints.

Feedback Score
    I still can't figure out how the short SBR's (especially with brakes) have little or no noticeable difference when a sbr is very different from a 16" and a brake is very different from a FH

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

How many sbr owners without suppressors?

Quote Originally Posted by JG007 View Post
    I still can't figure out how the short SBR's (especially with brakes) have little or no noticeable difference when a sbr is very different from a 16" and a brake is very different from a FH
    You have to tune you rifle like your car. buffer, buffer spring, BCG, gas port size, ammo, and then brake, or FH
    Last edited by JulyAZ; 05-28-14 at 22:06.

Feedback Score
    So, I've had some experience firing my 12.5 (now approved) BCM SBR.

I was getting an initial zero at 25 yards (then heading over to the 100 yard range) next to a Glock 22. I didn't notice it being appreciably louder or different than the Glock. (ETA: .40 S&W is also a snappier, louder round than say 9mm).

Just my $.02.

I think Suppressors do have a tactical application. However, I'm not on L.E. or Mil. and I don't need to conceal my location. (ETA: Or worry about not wearing Ear Pro, shooting in a team, etc.)

I would strongly advise anyone to fire a centerfire rifle with a suppressor before spending a ton to get one; it will help you manage expectations.

I've made other points in this thread earlier. But, I thought since I've now experienced that; I'd share.

God bless,

Brandon.

I also think I'll hang onto the A2 Flash hider; however the m4 stock needs to go.
    Last edited by BWT; 05-30-14 at 15:52.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213