Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How many sbr owners without suppressors?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have two 11.5 SBRs without suppressors (suppressors are illegal in this state). Both have BattleComp 1.0 muzzle brakes on them. They're loud, but not particularly bothersome to me outdoors. I've taken several courses with them and although they draw the occasional comment, I've never heard anyone complain. They are noticeably louder indoors and I do wear plugs-under-muffs for extended shooting at the local indoor range.

I don't see the big deal, suppressor vs no suppressor, for an SBR. If they were legal here I'd probably have one, but I don't feel the downside to an unsuppressed SBR that others in this thread seem to feel.

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I have two 11.5 SBRs without suppressors (suppressors are illegal in this state). Both have BattleComp 1.0 muzzle brakes on them. They're loud, but not particularly bothersome to me outdoors. I've taken several courses with them and although they draw the occasional comment, I've never heard anyone complain. They are noticeably louder indoors and I do wear plugs-under-muffs for extended shooting at the local indoor range.

I don't see the big deal, suppressor vs no suppressor, for an SBR. If they were legal here I'd probably have one, but I don't feel the downside to an unsuppressed SBR that others in this thread seem to feel.
    Quote Originally Posted by karmapolice View Post
    I run a 12.5" sbr everyday at work as a Patrol Deputy, I own a can but it does not reside on the gun at all. It might if it was a mini can but it's an AAC SPR/M4 and it doesn't see much use at all, especially since I don't have the ability to mount it to anything right now. I run an SBR for the shorter length to make it easier to run from the front seat of my car and in tight buildings etc, adding a can that lengthens the overall package by 5 inches isn't worth it to me.
    If you have to use it in a confined space I think the blast would be so concussive it would effectively take you out if the fight

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I own a MK18. (DD 10.3) that I currently do not own a can for...not yet at least, and don't think I'll get one for at least a year or two, I have a baby in the way, so I have a feeling that he'll be taking all my gun money I put aside for myself.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have a 10.5" sbr that I've had for about a year and half now without a can. I went through the same dilemma you are but decided to get one anyway. Just sent my form 4 and Trust off last month for an SDN 6. I figured Ill have a suppressor I can use for all my rifles and when I visit my parents I can shoot on their property without annoying the neighbors. Its legal to shoot there but they call the police cause of the noise. I definitely think its louder than a 16" gun, especially at an indoor range. Also lets out a huge fireball. So basically I got mine cause I think they're pretty cool and to be a little courteous. But I don't think its a must have.

"There's nothing wrong with using a non-suppressed SBR in class. It's no worse than something of the brakes and comps guys are running around with"
    I agree with this. Used mine in a class and shot next to others with unsupressed SBRs. Didn't think it was a big deal.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I'd get a suppressor now and not wait.

As to using an SBR without a suppressor. Yes, they're loud but as mention if it knocks you out of the fight, you should turn in you guns and man card at the door and expect it to hit you on the way out.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptmccain View Post
    If you have to use it in a confined space I think the blast would be so concussive it would effectively take you out if the fight
    I doubt that that would be a problem for those not taking estrogen.
    Last edited by Hmac; 12-29-13 at 10:40.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    im definitely no operator or door kicker,just a young guy who likes having cool stuff.I happen to like the fireballs and noise so its no big deal to me really and I dont ever plan on firing any of them indoors thank god lol.I dont get the chance to attend many classes either but if it was a issue I have 16" guns I can use

my main struggle is whether a 5.56 can was worth the money.I might just bite the bullet and get one
    Last edited by 03scgt; 12-29-13 at 10:57.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    HMAC, you've got to consider the AMSDORF, I mean source. Cough cough.

My SCAR 16/17s, with 16" barrels and factory brakes were FAR louder than my 10.5" SBR AR (all unsuppressed).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Everything's a tradeoff... Less noise and blast with a can, but more sinus-clearing gas and the always stylish "suppressor face" smudges around nose and mouth. There is also more carbon, crud, and cleaning involved with shooting suppressed on an AR.

I typically confirm any zero changes with the can mounted on my 12.5" SBR, then shoot 95% unsuppressed. Of course, I hardly ever shoot indoors, and I always double up on earpro (plugs + electronic muffs). For me, my can is not about fun, it is more of an insurance policy against "just-in-case" scenarios.

Frankly, I shoot more suppressed with precision ARs than with SBRs. The can on an SPR/recce definitely helps accurate shooting by removing muzzle jump and blast and the longer barrel reduces gas blowback significantly when compared to shooting an SBR.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptmccain View Post

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    If this affects any such as this, please stick to knitting and bird watching. In my experience its entirely tolerable.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast