Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving away from Shotgun to AR for HD?

Feedback Score

Moving away from Shotgun to AR for HD?

Over the years, I have slowly moved completely away from the shotgun for home defense. This is somewhat driven by injuries received in a motorcycle accident, but I began this transition over a decade ago when I started using my cowboy action competition rifle - a .44 Marlin levergun and leaving the shotguns in the safe.

Some of my reasons for the switch:

Nearly zero recoil (AR)
    High mag capacity
    Longer range
    Lighter, faster handling
    Over-penetration issues with 00 buckshot
    Defeats body armor

Anyone else breaking out the old 12 gauge less and less?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The above advantages are the reason why Police departments all over the country have switched to the AR platform years ago.

FYI this topic has been discussed in length several times in the past and further information can be found using the search function.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The AR-15 is a great patrol rifle.

For me the shotgun is my go to long arm for home defense.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PrevailFI View Post
    Over the years, I have slowly moved completely away from the shotgun for home defense. This is somewhat driven by injuries received in a motorcycle accident, but I began this transition over a decade ago when I started using my cowboy action competition rifle - a .44 Marlin levergun and leaving the shotguns in the safe.

Nearly zero recoil (AR)
    High mag capacity
    Longer range
    Lighter, faster handling
    Defeats body armor

Personally, I have never really grasped why one would use a SG for CQB/HD. If anything, I put it third on the list of guns to use (squarely behind the AR and a pistol).

Most people shoot a SG FAR less than they do an AR and a pistol, but still choose it to bet their life on it. Odd. On top of this, I have seen EXPERIENCED SG shooter short stroke pumps when surprised in shoot houses.

Something to ponder. The AR (even with a 16" barrel) is kind of long when clearing corners. There are ways to shorten this gun, but you will need training on this subject in order to do it optimally. There are FANTASTIC defensive loads out there for this gun though.

So that brings us to the pistol. From a maneuverability aspect, the pistol is king! It is also the easiest gun to secure, but still get to in a hurry. With that said, pistol calibers suck for killing people.

My advice is to stick with the gun that you have the MOST experience with and get training in low light room clearing.

YMMV.

C4

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PrevailFI View Post

Nearly zero recoil (AR)
    High mag capacity
    Longer range
    Lighter, faster handling
    Defeats body armor

If longer range capability is a priority for you, a carbine would be the way to go. For home defense, I am less concerned about range than other characteristics of a defensive weapon.

Choose a HD weapon that you are most comfortable with shooting and willing to train with on a regular basis.
    Last edited by T2C; 12-29-13 at 10:41.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Personally, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better platform for close quarters/home defense. An SBR + a weapon light is my primary HD weapon, while a handgun is my back-up. But then again I've trained CQB extensively over the years.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Honestly,

I don't know why a shotgun would even be a serious consideration if you have a pistol and/or an AR available.

In the ranking of self defense tools, the shotgun just edges out "pointy stick" and "straight claw hammer".

A high capacity M&P or Glock duty type pistol loaded with Gold Dot or equivalent defensive ammo would be a solid choice.

A quality lightweight 16", 14.5" pinned or SBR with red dot sight and white light loaded with 64gr Gold Dot or equivalent defensive ammo would be an excellent choice.

The AR platform is very hard to match in terms of flexibility to perform many different roles well.
    Last edited by Clint; 12-29-13 at 12:12.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have personally never considered the SG a good choice for HD when other options are available. Too heavy, long, much recoil, and not enough capacity. If its all you have, work with what ya got. Before I had a couple AR's laying around the house, I used a handgun for HD. Used to own a shotgun for skeet. Sold it. Recently picked up another, strictly as a play toy though

Feedback Score
    If I ever get around to SBS'ing my M2, I'd probably prefer it, but for now 18.5 just feels a bit unwieldy for the house - even with the shorter stock.

My 10.5 SBR fills that role for now.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Lately I've been wondering why it is I even own a tactical shotgun. Maybe I should sell it and buy more 5.56.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast