Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving away from Shotgun to AR for HD?

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhound86 View Post
    Lately I've been wondering why it is I even own a tactical shotgun. Maybe I should sell it and buy more 5.56.
    I still need a long barrel shotgun for occasional bird hunting. For tactical applications, not so much.

Sent from my piece of s**t phone using Tapatalk2 (which can be equally unreliable when coupled with a junk phone)
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett v2 View Post
    I still need a long barrel shotgun for occasional bird hunting. For tactical applications, not so much.
    That's what the 20 Gauge dear old dad bought me when I was 12 years old is for.

Feedback Score
    If it's absolutely necessary to barricade & stand our ground then we'll have the 930 SPX at the ready with a matching set of G19s and an AR available. That should make Uncle Joe at least partially happy. Other than barricading in though, we'll default to the handguns and AR.
    Never sit at the bargaining table with an empty stomach.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Man y'all have me really second guessing my tactical 12ga that sits bedside. Maybe the SBR will replace it once my Form 1 clears.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I think it comes down to training. You need to get comfortable manipulating the weapon you use for HD & know it's limitations. To me on paper a reliable AR SBR seems a good option but so does a Tavor you could manipulate and shoot with 1 arm and even something like an SBS Saiga/VEPR 12, also a KSG (if proven to run reliably) would seem a good option as well but one would need training behind any platform.

Considering this is M4C & not GlockTalk or Shotgun world I would expect many members here to be very comfortable with the AR and likely to default to it as an HD weapon, no real surprises here.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticDisorder View Post
    I think it comes down to training. You need to get comfortable manipulating the weapon you use for HD & know it's limitations.

Considering this is M4C & not GlockTalk or Shotgun world I would expect many members here to be very comfortable with the AR and likely to default to it as an HD weapon, no real surprises here.
    Truer words were never spoken.

I have a lot of training hours with the shotgun and the shotgun has seen a great deal of success. A lot of other people hate the shotgun and won't invest the time and effort to master it.

There is nothing wrong with a carbine or pistol if that is your cup of tea. You just have to understand each weapon system's limitations and master the weapon of your choice.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Did the calculations a while back, decided the shotty was not my cup of tea. Had a 6920 MP as primary house gun. Mossy 590 A1 had been relegated to the main gun locker (i.e. not the ready locker). Sold the Mossberg and bought an LMT Defender Lower w/ambi safety. Later on got a 6920 MP upper to go with it from Grant. It is the primary HD long gun since CinC home is a southpaw.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tejasmtb View Post
    Man y'all have me really second guessing my tactical 12ga that sits bedside. Maybe the SBR will replace it once my Form 1 clears.
    If that 12g is reliable, you are proficient with it and it suits the situation I wouldn't put it away. Shotguns are great home defensive weapons. I have a semi-auto 12g SPX that runs like a clock, holds 9 rounds and is easily combat loaded.

In a sustained firefight or assaults I can see the shotguns glaring weaknesses. As far as HD goes, in the right hands, a reliable semi-auto SG loaded with FC 12g buckshot is a beast to be reckoned with.
    Last edited by quaesitor logica; 12-29-13 at 14:56.

Feedback Score
    the shotgun with proper loads can be very surgical buck and slug at the average home distance
    as well often the federals le127rs slug penetrates less than there buck shot load....
    as for capacity, when was the last time a homeowner had to reload a shotgun in home defense shooting?
    for me the shotgun heads up the list of HD guns for me maybe because I shoot it a lot I have used it in shoot houses and more
    I understand its pattern oh and I practice with It, and I grew up with one hunting my entire life

and they are cheaper to get for many, that said its a personal choice
    STEVE FISHER
    INSTRUCTOR
    Sentinel Concepts

Consultant for
    Trijicon
    midwest industries
    Nighthawk custom firearms

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Know the tools in your toolbox and the venue they will be deployed in. Not that I would volunteer to stand in front of an inbound handgun round, but they are all anemic compared to either of the long gun options. For those folks that still think the shotgun only sprays out a huge pattern, take a look at some of the Federal Flight Control loads, like the #1 buck (LE132 1B).

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast