Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Residential Generators

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    Would they give you a deal on 2 units? I see you're in the midwest, if you're close to Ohio and want a 'side job' installing one let me know!
    Sorry Bro, I'm in Cheeseland. If you were closer I'd give you my family/friends rate, which is 2 cases of Busch Light. I'd even throw in my 30 second/30 feet guaranty.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Residential Generators

Here is mine, 20KW, runs the entire house on natural gas.

ETA: The price you stated for a 20KW installed is very reasonable.

I decided I was not going to monkey around with anything less. The power grid is extremely fragile in some areas.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 12-30-13 at 14:15.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Munch, I was just at Menards and they had 20kw Generac units there for $3999.

I can't imagine it would cost more than $1000 to wire in and install if you did some prep work yourself, like pouring a pad and such.

Not sure this helps, but I thought that was a great price. They are also doing the 11% rebate right now (not sure when that ends?).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    Munch, I was just at Menards and they had 20kw Generac units there for $3999.

I can't imagine it would cost more than $1000 to wire in and install if you did some prep work yourself, like pouring a pad and such.

Not sure this helps, but I thought that was a great price. They are also doing the 11% rebate right now (not sure when that ends?).
    That seems like a pretty good deal.

Sent via Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Munch,
    I bought a Generac portable generator from Lowe's for $600.00. I bought the items to back feed into my existing electrical box for about $200. All I have to do is pull the generator out of the shed and plug it into a weather proof box in the back yard and I can just about run the whole house. Now granted, I may not be able to run the central air and the hot water heater at the same time, but all the necessities are covered. The most important things like not having all the food in the fridge go bad and the heat on when its freezing are covered.
    Next year I plan on buying an automatic switch box that will return the house to regular power when the electric goes back on. This will cost about another $250.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    Munch,
    I bought a Generac portable generator from Lowe's for $600.00. I bought the items to back feed into my existing electrical box for about $200. All I have to do is pull the generator out of the shed and plug it into a weather proof box in the back yard and I can just about run the whole house. Now granted, I may not be able to run the central air and the hot water heater at the same time, but all the necessities are covered. The most important things like not having all the food in the fridge go bad and the heat on when its freezing are covered.
    Next year I plan on buying an automatic switch box that will return the house to regular power when the electric goes back on. This will cost about another $250.
    That's the route I'm looking at too. What size generator did you go with?

Sent via Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    That's the route I'm looking at too. What size generator did you go with?

Sent via Tapatalk
    It is 5500 continuous. I think it will peak to 6800. I have a pretty small home.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    It is 5500 continuous. I think it will peak to 6800. I have a pretty small home.
    I have the same generator and manual transfer switch. It is wonderful for fridges, lights, tv, furnace blower (gas heat) and sump pump but central A/C units are beyond its capability. A window A/C unit will work, however.

Harold

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    i live in a cold tundra and if the electricity goes out it can get good and cold pretty quick in the house. i did have my eye on a 4000 watt honda, it is expensive but efficient quiet and reliable. i ended up getting a 4000 watt yamaha for a case of beer and the cost for me to rebuild the butterfly rod in the carb. it is able to run 220 or 110. we got freezing rain a little over a year ago and broke the power lines off so i slid it outside and ran a couple of extention chords inside and ran the fireplace, freezer, couple of lights, pressure tank, tv, computer, toaster oven. i may not have everything but we were comforetable i was suprised at how many of my neighbors were freezing with no backup and were about to come over when we finally got electricity on about 10 hours later. i did have to run a seperate extention chord just for the fireplace, had it 74 in our basement the whole time.

Feedback Score
    Being a welder by trade, I have a Lincoln Electric Vantage 400 diesel Welder/generator on the back of my truck 24/7. It puts out 11KW of single phase power & 17KW of three phase power (Along with 500 amps of welding power). I can pretty much run my entire home on it. I remember when Y2K came around and everyone flipped out, after all the regular generators were sold out, people were buying gas/diesel welding machines like crazy simply for the generator.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast