Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best .22 Upper?

Feedback Score

Best .22 Upper?

Looking for a 22 upper, I want to be able to outfit it into as close a set up as my M-4gery. Rail, VFG, light, etc.

So, here are the criterea I have come up with, if anyone knows of something I am missing, or who makes the best, help appreciated.

1. Reliable
    2. Correct Rifling for 22 LR
    3. Abiltity to hang junk on it.
    4. Easily acquired magazines.
    5. Easily maintaned magazines.
    6. Spare parts avaiablitly.

Bulldog1967 Guest
    I just received a CV-22 upper that is VERY well built.

Haven't shot it yet but it has had great reviews so far and was economical compared to the KKF/Ceiner upper.

For what YOU want to do however, you may want to consider the KKF one as it looks identical to an M4 upper.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Thumbs up Kuehl M4 .22 LR Upper

We have three Kuehl M4 .22LR flattop uppers, two bought new and a third used from EE. They use Ciener conversions (http://www.22lrconversions.com/) with the chamber insert removed so when a round is chambered, it is at the rifling. It also uses Ciener 10- and 30- round mags. The 16" match-grade barrel has an M4 notch but is a heavy barrel under the handguards. They are CNC machined from top quality 4140 steel blanks in a 1-16" twist for optimum performance with 40 grain .22LR projectiles.

Kept clean (.22LR is very dirty) and lubed (SLIP 2000), they will run like sewing machines. Rick Kuehl (http://www.kuehlprecisionfirearms.com/) is great to work with on building and answering questions on which parts to keep as spares. Both he and Ciener have parts. My experience with JAC was positive when I bought additional 30-round mags.

The two we use primarily for training have KAC RAS's installed for VFG's and lights, when appropriate, and Aimpoint M2's residing on the flat top receiver on LaRue Mounts (just like our M4geries).

Probably 80% of our work-up before our last carbine class with Pat was with these uppers. NOTE: PUSH/PULL is the only way to go with Ciener mags; otherwise, you will impale your support hand if you slap it. They do not, however, work well as monopods (feed issues.) The 30-round mags, when bought in quantities of three or more, are $50 each. (H&K mags are pricey, too.)

Here is a pic of Number Three Son (age 8) who started shooting on Labor Day. I'm glad I kept the 10-rounders that came with the used upper. VFG is a monopod on a portion of a rolled back shooting mat left over from high power days. (Harv, my yellow glasses broke when I met Pat. )

Note the 25 meter M68 zeroing target in the PDT target (until we can get some EAG targets). He is learning that the red dot goes where you want to hit, here, the center of two concentric circles. Sight picture; Press; Sight picture. Mastering irons comes once he learns to shoot.

Last week I bought 4950 rounds of Federal .22LR from local WalMart for $85.00. I can't buy 5000 decent primers for that. The new uppers paid for themselves in 3500 rounds (7,000 total) back when ammo was much cheaper.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    With ammo prices going from bad to worse owning a .22 upper for range work is sounding like a great idea.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VA_Dinger
    With ammo prices going from bad to worse owning a .22 upper for range work is sounding like a great idea.
    It is also easier than reloading (which is also necessary these days; I am seriously considering getting out of 7.62mm: 43 grains of W748 v. 26 for 5.56mm.)

I avoided the AK bug and reasoned that these would suit our purposes better. We still have five children who have to learn to fight with a carbine. Nathan (18) was high shooter at Pat's second Boone County class and Emily (20) outshot me for the first time this year. These helped them to sustain skills developed in earlier classes.
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've been happy with my DPMS .22 upper so far (and I typically can't stand anything DPMS) but they aren't currently producing them, have put off the 30 round mags several months, and there doesn't appear to be much in the way of support for them.

Feedback Score
    this is the route I am going for my son.
    It is the custom and cheap route. I found an old mess-up SPR barrel on the EE (ARFCOM) that the barrel threads were done wrong and looked like someone on crack with a drill press chewed up the FSB pin holes. So while throwing it away my 8yr old says "dad I want it" which gave me the 22 idea.

So I sent it to Randall at AR15barrels.com and he cut it down. now the threads are where the gas port used to be (the gas port hole is actually in the threads)

I should have it complete soon just waiting on the rest of the parts it will have a freefloat full length rail and suppressed for my sons ears (dont want them like mine)

will post complete pics soon.
    TRAVIS HALEY
    Founder | CEO
    Haley Strategic Partners, LLC.
    http://haleystrategic.com/

Feedback Score
    That barrel looks familiar...
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Feedback Score
    Ya thanks again for the Awsome work and I also couldnt believe how fast your turn around was!
    My kid is driving me nuts with "come on dad when are you gonna finish it!!!!"
    I'll post pics when its done.
    TRAVIS HALEY
    Founder | CEO
    Haley Strategic Partners, LLC.
    http://haleystrategic.com/

Feedback Score
    very nice SD..what kit are yo uusing ? ciener with 30 rds ? or M261 ?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast