Thread: Noveske N4: Basic or Low Profile?

Feedback Score

Noveske N4: Basic or Low Profile?

Looking for opinions on this. I have owned a few AR's in the past but they have always been stock (no rails, no lights etc..). Now, I am wanting something of a general purpose rifle (range, post-hurricane home defense, SHTF whatever) and need advice. This may end up being my only AR. I know everyone likes the mid-length...But I think I want the shortest non-NFA barrel, so I'm only considering the 14.5" models. I definately want a light and electronic sight. So, what would you guys do?

Option 1) N4 Basic with Surfire M500A handguard light ( I found a good deal on one) and Aimpoint ML2 in a Larue mount.

Option 2) N4 Basic with DD omega rail with surefire 6P LED in Larue QD mount and Aimpoint ML2/larue

Option 3) N4 Low Profile with 6P LED/Larue and ML2/Larue

Since this may be my only AR, I'm looking for things like durability. Is using a standard FSB like on the Basic better in the long run than a shaved set-up like on the Low Profile? Since I just need a light...am I better off going with the Surefire M500 over a rail and light and rail protectors? Do the rails promote better barrel cooling than handguards? How much does this matter? The Low Profile is free floated...right? Is a standard handguard set-up more durable in the long run?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Feedback Score
    i have a 14.5" N4 Basic with DD Omega 7.0 and i think its a terrific set up

i also like the N4 Low Profile A LOT....but if i only had one AR-15 i would want the fixed FSB.

tough choices, but whatever you pick, i doubt you'll go far wrong.....except for the Surefire light / fore-end combo. i'd skip that for sure.

Feedback Score
    Para,
    Thanks for the reply. Is the Surefire handguard light combo less than ideal? I was just thinking it seemed like a clean set-up.

Feedback Score
    my reasoning is that if the light goes down, you need to replace the whole unit. if a stand alone light goes down you can just take it off and replace it. also with the Surefire set up, you are married to that light...with rails, you can attach any light you want.

i would go with the Omega rails. i have a set on my N4 Basic and another set on my LMT M4. they are good free floating rails and stupid easy to install.

to answer some of your other questions, yes the Low Profile is free floating...and rails indeed do promote cooling.

rails are pretty durable, but if you do manage to mess them up, plastic handguards are easier to replace....but i'd think plastic is easier to break than aluminum. either way, they are both very sturdy.

don't drive over your AR with a truck or drop it off a rooftop and you should be GTG.