Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: IMI M855 or IMI M193?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The traps on the range I'm speaking of appear to be full of chewed up car tires (at least that's what it looks like).
    "Those who do can't explain; those who don't can't understand"...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Hmmmm... not sure why they'd care about ss109. Maybe just the old mystique of the steel penetrator.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Hmmmm... not sure why they'd care about ss109. Maybe just the old mystique of the steel penetrator.
    I have a feeling I know why: Concrete back wall, and behind that is the parking lot. Don't know what/how they reinforced that wall, but for whatever reason I'm glad to comply.
    "Those who do can't explain; those who don't can't understand"...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Steel insert + concrete floor/walls= spark. Not good when surrounded by tons of highly flammable shredded tires and high volume airflow.

This is a legit indoor range concern

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Steel insert + concrete floor/walls= spark. Not good when surrounded by tons of highly flammable shredded tires and high volume airflow.

This is a legit indoor range concern
    That could be the logic... but I don't buy it. We did an SS109 test firing them into a steel gong over top of a dry grass tinder pile. No fire... and there were sparks showering off the gong. I can appreciate erring on the extreme side of caution... but I bet it'd take an M249 to get some tires to catch.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    No fire... and there were sparks showering off the gong. I can appreciate erring on the extreme side of caution... but I bet it'd take an M249 to get some tires to catch.
    Its an insurance requirement, not optional for our local indoor ranges.

Also, remember the tires are shredded, and then shot repeatedly. The bottom layer ends up being essentially rubber dust. Add to that huge fans.

The two indoor ranges I'm familiar with have never had an issue, but they treat it very seriously.

Knowing how powders and air can combust/explode, I could see the risk. Ever seen a shop dust handler explosion?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I suppose. If a fire did start, It'd be a pain to put out.

Feedback Score
    The ranges I frequent do not allow any magnetic ammo in the summer for fire concerns. They are both outdoor ranges. After the dumb $#@!$ caused a number of fires by setting off tannerite in the middle of the summer in the Utah desert, everyone is very cautious about shooter-started fires. The gov'ment has started to close areas to shooting because of all of the shooter-started fires we've had over the last few summers.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234