Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Specialized IFAK for my dad

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
    You ask for an IFAK in your title (which, by definition, is a trauma kit aimed at battlefield injuries), then in your last line ask for a kit "in case of emergency while at home or away."

I think you need to better define if this is a medical (ie, meds, needles/syringes if needed, maybe some minor trauma gear) or a trauma (quick-clot, TQ, big scary bleeding and airway things) kit before we can really recommend something.

Like Skintop911 says, needs of the patient dictate needs of the kit. i wouldn't include zofran in a trauma kit, likewise I wouldn't put a TQ in with a kit full of tylenol, insulin and a barf-bag.
    IFAK stands for "Individual First Aid Kit". The original title is appropriate.
    Director of Training for Task Force Special Operations - a private security company

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brown3345 View Post
    When people are using blood thinners they can sometimes have problems stopping blood flow when they get cut. There are products out that work well like Quik Clot. I have used them in the past with good results overall.
    You referring to the quick clot pepper looking stuff? if so, I would suggest "combat gauze", it's a gauze with "quick clot inside" because quick clot by itself if hard to vacuum out of a would, especially if it burns the would and sticks.
    when life closes doors on you, blow them off the hinges.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joshrunkle35 View Post
    IFAK stands for "Individual First Aid Kit". The original title is appropriate.
    Actually, it stands for "Improved First Aid Kit" in the Army, versus "Individual First Aid Kit" in other services.

www.usamma.amedd.army.mil/assets/docs/IFAK.pdf

Either way, the IFAK is a trauma-oriented kit. It's not a medicine-oriented kit. Which goes back to my first post - what is he trying to aim this towards?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingCobra View Post
    You referring to the quick clot pepper looking stuff? if so, I would suggest "combat gauze", it's a gauze with "quick clot inside" because quick clot by itself if hard to vacuum out of a would, especially if it burns the would and sticks.
    I think he ment combat gauze/quick clot. I take blood thinners and keep CG/QC in kits, stashed and tucked all over.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yep, that's the stuff. We have used that with decent results in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
    I think he ment combat gauze/quick clot. I take blood thinners and keep CG/QC in kits, stashed and tucked all over.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12