Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1911 malfunction. case in front of extractor ftf on last round.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Not just ball ammo, but is it the same brand of 230 grain ball?

As I said, get the Tripp super7 replacement follower & springs and install them in your 8 rounders. They will give you mags that are way more reliable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by evilmonkey View Post
    Sounds like the recoil spring! my springfield did the same thing and i had under 1000 rounds, put it in and the problem went away! Get a 18# recoil spring or even a 18.5# recoil spring but I woulndn't go higher then that or it will tear up the gun! If that doesn't work then I would try a new extractor, I could be a little to much pressure. I doubt its the mags since the wilson mag is new. Im having a problem with my springfield having a bolt over base malfunction when I release the slide stop on a fully loaded Wilson mags and I still havent figured out why . Good luck!!
    It's not the recoil spring. Because the last round is coming out of the lips and letting the slide lock engage, this means that there's not enough tension in the mag spring to keep it in the mag before sliding into battery.

Now if the round was failing to go into battery, and the slide lock was not being activated, I would suggest a stronger recoil spring, but this isn't the problem you've described.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Greg:
    Where in GA are you? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Sam,

Warner Robins.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Ah, good old Warner Robins, I lived there for 3 years while working at the base. You drove a long way to go to that LAV/Hackathorn gig.
    The reason I asked was that if you were around Atlanta, there are a few gunsmiths that can probably look at your gun and help you out.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Its your mags...more specifically...a combination of slightly weak mag springs and those abrupt feedlips on the Wilson mags (releasing the round too soon)...I know most people think that Wilson mags are the best thing since sliced bread...but I don't care for them, neither does my gun. Some 1911's just don't like them...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had similar problems with a newer Colt Commander and brand spanking new Wilson 7-round magazines (Colt 7-rounders that came with the pistol worked great).

I suspected weak or out of spec magazine springs and Wilson took them back to inspect them. They said all was well, and it was most likely my Colt that was the problem and I should send it to them so they could get it to run

I replaced the Wilson guts with Tripp springs/followers and the issue disappeared...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It sure sounds like weak mag springs to me. Try the Wolff 11# springs ... you can get them at Brownells.
    "Think you used enough dynamite there Butch?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12