Thread: Looking at a 7.62x54R NDM-86

Feedback Score

Looking at a 7.62x54R NDM-86

I don't know a lot about them, and $3,000 is a lot of coin to drop on a rifle that I know little about. That said, I've wanted a true Soviet Dragunov for a long time, but at $15,000 and up and very hard to find, that's probably not ever going to happen. From what I can tell/have learned, the NDM-86 is a copy of the Soviet SVD. Is that correct? The seller stated that it has hardly been fired and is in very nice shape. The original case is missing, but the metal case for the scope is still with it. I believe he said it's a 6x optic. Has three magazines. Would I be getting a decent deal?

What kind of accuracy can be expected from these? I had a PSL for a couple years and while it was fun, the fact that it was nothing more than a big AK was very apparent when I was trying to shoot precisely. I'd like to have the NDM-86 do a little better than 3-4MOA (what the PSL shot) with decent ammunition. Is there anything else you guys might be able to tell me about the NDM-86?
    Last edited by Vintovka; 01-18-14 at 20:01.

Feedback Score
    I had an NDM-86 in .308 about 4 years ago and it was a nice rifle. The fit and finish was good and I had no function issues. I paid $2800 which was a lot back then. I consistently got 2MOA groups with Radway Green surplus. I think you can expect about the same with quality surplus and maybe a little better if you can get your hands on some 7n1 ammo. Do you have any pictures of the gun and scope you can post? Mine came with a 4x scope and I didn't think they came with 6x scopes. And these days, regardless of whether it's the correct scope or not $3k is a great price, especially for the more popular x54r version.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scatsob View Post
    I had an NDM-86 in .308 about 4 years ago and it was a nice rifle. The fit and finish was good and I had no function issues. I paid $2800 which was a lot back then. I consistently got 2MOA groups with Radway Green surplus. I think you can expect about the same with quality surplus and maybe a little better if you can get your hands on some 7n1 ammo. Do you have any pictures of the gun and scope you can post? Mine came with a 4x scope and I didn't think they came with 6x scopes. And these days, regardless of whether it's the correct scope or not $3k is a great price, especially for the more popular x54r version.
    Thanks for your input. I don't have any pictures of it right now. It's at a shop about 90 miles from me. The owner calls me whenever stuff like this comes in, so I'll be going to take a look at it on Saturday. I'll have pictures of it then (lots of pictures if I bring it home). I'll be sure to look at/ask him questions about the scope. But as long as it looks decent, I'm not that concerned about whether or not it's the exact correct scope.
    Last edited by Vintovka; 01-19-14 at 19:26.

Feedback Score
    Handload it with 174 SMK's and you might see some interesting results. IIRC, the Finns shoot both .308 and 7.62x54R and consider the latter to be a more inherently accurate cartridge from many decades of testing in quality rifles.
    Last edited by yellowfin; 02-09-14 at 20:06.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    ANy news on this Vintovka?
    former cat herder

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately not. The seller started acting funny and then backed out of the deal even though there was an explicit verbal agreement that I would buy it. I looked at Saigas/Veprs/Zastava M77s for a little bit but then ended up going a totally different direction and bought a big-bore revolver. I also got on the list and made a deposit to get a UK-59 from Marcolmar.

My new route