Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Building a precision AR-15: Questions about barrel, bolt, twist, etc...

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    My most accurate gun I own is a Rem700 5R 1/9 and it shoots 77g SMK's and 80's half MOA all day long. Its a 20inch gun.

I had a 18 WOA 1/8 Wylde that shot lights out in a heavy SPR config. Shot great.

I changed it to a 16 Bergara wylde 1/8 , Markm stacked 5 each 77's in a very small ragged hole. These Begaras are new to the market but very impressive.

We lobbed 77SMk's out to a 1K last saturday and I probably was 60% hit rate. That Begara aint bad. None where tumbling because the misses where wind close misses.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    This is a great thread! I'm in a similar s(h)ituation. After a house, kids, etc. I no longer have the budget for the uber cool toys. So, I was thinking instead of a .308 bolt gun (rifle + new stock+bedding+match ammo+everything else = $$$$$$), I would look into a precision AR upper. I already have a couple cases of match ammo, a bunch of lowers, etc. so I thought an AR might be best. Anywhoo...how are the complete uppers from Stag (3G) and RRA (R3)? At one time when I shot service rifle I had a White Oak upper built by John Holiger, and holy crap, that thing could shoot. Now, the one thing is I don't want a "varmint" type upper. I have no need for a 24" bull barrel. I'm more drawn to the recce/spr length and weight.

Would one of the "prefab" Stag or RRA shoot well? Would I be better off getting a barrel separately from Nordic/White Oak/Black Hole and having one built? Is a billet upper really superior, or ultimately, just cooler looking? Is there any special voodoo that goes into putting together a precision AR upper that's any different from a "traditional" one? I like the notion/cost of the BCM 410 uppers, but is the 5.56 chamber instead of the Wylde chamber a concern?

Also, I don't have access to anything over 200 yards.

Which do y'all think would offer the most accuracy for the $$?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    This is a great thread! I'm in a similar s(h)ituation. After a house, kids, etc. I no longer have the budget for the uber cool toys. So, I was thinking instead of a .308 bolt gun (rifle + new stock+bedding+match ammo+everything else = $$$$$$), I would look into a precision AR upper. I already have a couple cases of match ammo, a bunch of lowers, etc. so I thought an AR might be best. Anywhoo...how are the complete uppers from Stag (3G) and RRA (R3)? At one time when I shot service rifle I had a White Oak upper built by John Holiger, and holy crap, that thing could shoot. Now, the one thing is I don't want a "varmint" type upper. I have no need for a 24" bull barrel. I'm more drawn to the recce/spr length and weight.

Would one of the "prefab" Stag or RRA shoot well? Would I be better off getting a barrel separately from Nordic/White Oak/Black Hole and having one built? Is a billet upper really superior, or ultimately, just cooler looking? Is there any special voodoo that goes into putting together a precision AR upper that's any different from a "traditional" one? I like the notion/cost of the BCM 410 uppers, but is the 5.56 chamber instead of the Wylde chamber a concern?

Also, I don't have access to anything over 200 yards.

Which do y'all think would offer the most accuracy for the $$?
    As long as you do your part, you'd be better off getting a barrel from one of the companies you listed. The 5.56 chamber on the BCM is of no concern to me because the barrel can already out shoot me. If it had a Wyld Chamber, your groups might be a millimeter better. What I'm trying to say is that unless you're shooting competition at 500 yards, you will not notice a difference.

I wouldn't worry about a Billet upper so much. Sink your money into the barrel, optics and trigger as they make up the most important factors in terms of precision rifles. You're obviously going to want to free float the barrel as well.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456