Quote Originally Posted by SWThomas View Post
Again, huge thank you for taking the time to be so exponentially helpful!!! You're a gentleman and a scholar.

Being a military man, my cammies weren't tailored with deep pockets. So going super-huge on a barrel is pretty much off the table. I've been scouring the interwebs looking for AR barrels from WOA, Shilen, Ranier, Bartlein, Kreiger, and a few others. I'm not coming up with a whole lot. WOA and Raniers seems to have some options but they're all backordered.

I did find a Shilen barrel/bolt set that looks promising, but it has a 1/8 twist. If it had a 1/7 twist I would be posting this reply to tell you I had bought it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/156...tainless-steel
Retired Army here - 28yrs. Thanks for your service.
Try Frank White at Compass Lake Engineering (CLE) - look for one of his stainless Douglas premiums with a bolt. I think he gets right around 400 for the bbl & bolt fully finished.
If it's back ordered - order one - it appears you are getting into high power rifle (NRA/CMP) (I may have missread that from another post - if so disregard) and this is a great initial bbl. They shoot well, they last and Frank stands behind his work. There are three things make all the difference on a NM AR - barrel, sights & trigger - THAT is where you need to spend you hard earned dough. Don't chase the snake oil BS. Sights are relatively inexpensive - get them pinned and get a 1/2 x 1/2. Triggers - buy what you can afford - Giessle is creme del la creme - older 1st Gen Armalites are good (adjustable) Krieger Milazzo 2 stage triggers were the best until the Giessles. Unfortunately I think Charlie Milazzo doesn't make them anymore - all he does is sue everyone that copies his design KAC - great but way over priced. All the rest of your cash - put it in a good bbl. You'll never regret it.