Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Go-To shotgun ammo for HD?

Feedback Score

Go-To shotgun ammo for HD?

Given a smoothbore pump action ...

What would be your top three choices in SLUG?

What would be your top three choices in BUCKSHOT?

I figure one each of those three will shoot the best out of my Win 1300. Though it would be nice to say it would also shoot well out of an 870P (that's on my short list )

_
    Dan Miami, FL

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Depends on many things. Your house, other family members, neighbors close by... I am fine with high brass 7 1/2 shot. Not to many intruders could take an ounce and a quarter in the face at ten feet and like it much. If you choose buck or slugs any of the major brands will do fine. Don't over think it! GH

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Hornady tap or federal flight control is in my m2 next to my bed.
    Need to start picking up some slugs
    i like dating homeless girls.
    when you're done with them
    you can drop them off anywhere

Colt 6920(x2, soon to be 3), Glock 30s (×2), gen 4: 19,21.
    m70ab2 u/f, wasr

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I like Hornady Critical Defense and Feds LE buckshot loads, both pattern well.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Out of my 870 Wingmaster with 18.5 rifle sight barrel.....
    Estate 00 Buck patterns best at in home distances.
    KO Brenneke Slugs although any Brenneke slug works well in my 870.

Feedback Score
    Demonstrable history recommends 00 Buck for defensive use but #1 Buck has a decent history as well, especially in the Federal LE1321B load.

1: Federal LE1321B, 12 ga, 2 3/4" #1 Buck, FliteControl wad, Low Recoil. This round has the heaviest throw-weight of pretty much any of the decent-caliber buckshot rounds, w/comparatively low recoil, and the wads really help the shot stay tight to the target.

2: Federal LE13200B, same as above but w/00 Buck.

3+ any other low recoil #1Buck or 00Buck load

A shotgun is a poor substitute for a rifle...if you need a rifle, use a rifle..but if you MUST do slugs:

1: Winchester Ranger Low Recoil. Winchester has always had a little edge getting slugs to shoot well out of a cylinder or IC smooth-bore and the low recoil rounds let you hammer the threat just a little quicker.

2+: Any other low recoil slug.

MikeN
    Last edited by MJN99999; 01-08-14 at 22:05.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Currently i have Hornady TAP 2.75 00 buck in the tube and 5 more in the saddle. I have 2 Federal 2.75 1oz slugs in the saddle too.

I dont put any thought into shotgun ammo for HD other than 00 buck with two 1oz slugs just incase. I dont have to worry about whats on the other side of my walls.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    It's a real shame Doc got run off this site. His stickied threads were always good for such info. The Federal Flite Control loads are superb. I think if you do a search here you'll find a thread where Grant tested the 00 load. I keep my Benelli loaded with the Federal LE1321B, which is a Flite Control #1 buck load. 15 .30 caliber pellets and here is a 25 yard pattern out of a cylinder bore 18.5" barrel:

For slugs, I use the Federal Tru-ball Deep Penetrators. They group about 6" at 100yds for me with rifle sights on the 18.5" cylinder bore barrel. My shotgun is loaded with 9 rounds of buck in the tube/chamber and 2 slugs on a 3-gun style carrier:

Untitled by ASH556, on Flickr
    Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post

That pattern is consistent with just about every gun I've fired that shell in.

Federal has done something right with that whole series of loads, and it's a really inexpensive load...I regularly find it for <$4.00/box of 5.

MikeN
    Defensive use a firearm is rarely a marksmanship problem, but it is ALWAYS a mindset problem.

Feedback Score

Go-To shotgun ammo for HD?

For my pump shotgun is use LE132 #1 buckshot. I also have some LE132 00 buckshot as well. At HD distances with flitecontrol it makes a single hole at 7 yards. I do not use slugs for HD but I have few boxes for Federal 1 oz slugs. I also have few boxes of Brenneke tactical home defense slugs. For my FNH SLP I use Federal PFC154 9 pellet 00 buckshot with flitecontrol. I also have few boxes of Brenneke KO slugs which cycle fine in both my shotguns.

For training I use Rio Royal 00 buckshot in both shotguns.
    Last edited by Tony617; 02-21-14 at 11:01.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast