Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Go-To shotgun ammo for HD?

Feedback Score
    Howdy,

Quote Originally Posted by MJN99999 View Post
    Demonstrable history recommends 00 Buck for defensive use but #1 Buck has a decent history as well, especially in the Federal LE1321B load.

1: Federal LE1321B, 12 ga, 2 3/4" #1 Buck, FliteControl wad, Low Recoil. This round has the heaviest throw-weight of pretty much any of the decent-caliber buckshot rounds, w/comparatively low recoil, and the wads really help the shot stay tight to the target.

2: Federal LE13200B, same as above but w/00 Buck.

3+ any other low recoil #1Buck or 00Buck load

A shotgun is a poor substitute for a rifle...if you need a rifle, use a rifle..but if you MUST do slugs:

1: Winchester Ranger Low Recoil. Winchester has always had a little edge getting slugs to shoot well out of a cylinder or IC smooth-bore and the low recoil rounds let you hammer the threat just a little quicker.

2+: Any other low recoil slug.

MikeN
    I've never been a fan of the "Low Recoil" shotgun loads.

"Low Recoil" is also known as "Low Power".

I'll stick with full power loads.

As far as buckshot goes any of the 2 3/4" "OO" or "OOO" will work. Lately I've been using the Win Hi-Vel 3" "OO".

Paul

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nthing the recommendation but for buckshot it would be Federal Flight Control in 00 Buck, Low Recoil 00 Buck or #1 Buck.

For slugs I have been pretty happy with the Federal Tru-Ball. Not much slug experience outside of that, sorry.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    My go-to for Buck:
    1. Federal XM12700. The regular old 9-pellet 00 (PowerShok blue box) that comes in the 175-rd can. I can afford it, I can shoot it, and it patterns well.
    2. Federal Flite Control Buckshot. Any type of Buck, I don't really care. It all patterns really well, but it costs more than I care to pay for regular shooting, so if I run low on the XM127, I'll buy a couple boxes of whatever Flite Control load the local places have.
    3. Remington bulk pack 00 (either the Wally World pack or that newer-looking one).

For slugs:
    1. Brenneke KO's. They penetrate better than Foster slugs, and they're accurate out of my 870's. And if I'm using a slug, I want to shoot through something...
    2. Brenneke HD's. Again, accurate out of my 870's, and still penetrate well.
    3. Any other Brennekes, or Federal Tru-Ball. I like Remington slugs for practice, but Tru-Ball has been more accurate, so I will take that if I can get it.

Feedback Score
    ---2yrs later...

I prefer 000 buckshot.

It spreads more quickly from my shotgun and buckshot pellets have penetration issues as it is so might as well use the heaviest.

00 is a fine second choice.

Tried the Federal Flight Control. Basically it spread at 25 yds like standard 00 did at about 15. For indoor use I'd rather have the faster spread of standard wads.

Were I to use a shotgun for SD outdoors it would be European-style slugs. (Aperture sights)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ron3 -

Have you looked at 1B? It passes the FBI penetration protocol. The 1B payload is 607gr compared to 000B at 560gr. With 000B you get 8 wound channels, with 1B you get 15.

My desire is to have the pellets tightly grouped, and indoors I want a load that doesn't spread as much.

At room distance I think either load would work well, but that flight control wad will put them pretty tight, which is my end desire.

But them again, if I was king police would only have slugs. Show me a case where someone was killed or injured by slug over-penetration, I'm not aware of any.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 05-16-16 at 17:09.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    But them again, if I was king police would only have slugs. Show me a case where someone was killed or injured by slug over-penetration, I'm not aware of any.
    Though my current in-the-house home defense go-to round is the Federal LE132-00 load (which produces one-hole patterns out to maximum in-my-house distances), the Federal LE127 RS slug deforms nicely in Federal's published gelatin tests with 14 to 15 inches of penetration. Since this load also cycles reliably though my 1187P and provides good accuracy out 50 yards, I would have no reservation using it as my go-to HD load.

http://www.le.vistaoutdoor.com/ammun...ls.aspx?id=706
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Ron3 -

Have you looked at 1B? It passes the FBI penetration protocol. The 1B payload is 607gr compared to 000B at 560gr. With 000B you get 8 wound channels, with 1B you get 15.

My desire is to have the pellets tightly grouped, and indoors I want a load that doesn't spread as much.

At room distance I think either load would work well, but that flight control wad will put them pretty tight, which is my end desire.

I've fired the #1's but they are so small (as you know, .30 cal, 40 grs I think) I just don't trust them to penetrate bone, clothes, etc. Plus, they do pack better in the shell than larger pellets, for more weight, and more recoil. (what really hurts are the 3" #1 and #4 buck..over 2 oz of lead!)

The only time I saw smaller (I think it was #4 buck. 18 inch cylinder bore) used on life was a buddy firing them at armadillo's 15-25 ft away. (Killed two that day) On broadside hits the pellets that hit the thickest portion of the body (about 6 inches thick) did not exit. The pellets that struck the narrower front and rear did. It was perfect for the application. But for men I'd prefer 00 or 000.

I feel like 00 and 000 should penetrate enough and not have much left to exit my home with much energy. (Though they probably won't exit at all)

For HD I want more spread. Even at 30 ft it's less than a foot of spread. 4-12 inches or spread is about perfect IMHO.

Outdoors for fighting? Slugs only.
    Last edited by Ron3; 05-17-16 at 01:11.

Feedback Score
    I have the downstairs Mossy loaded with Federal Flite Control 1B and the bedroom Mossy loaded with Federal LE 8 pellet low recoil 000.
    No particular reason; they both pattern about the same within 10-15 yards. May go to all 000 just because I likes it.
    Last edited by KeithTexas; 05-26-16 at 19:54.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
    My go-to for Buck:
    1. Federal XM12700. The regular old 9-pellet 00 (PowerShok blue box) that comes in the 175-rd can. I can afford it, I can shoot it, and it patterns well.
    2. Federal Flite Control Buckshot. Any type of Buck, I don't really care. It all patterns really well, but it costs more than I care to pay for regular shooting, so if I run low on the XM127, I'll buy a couple boxes of whatever Flite Control load the local places have.
    3. Remington bulk pack 00 (either the Wally World pack or that newer-looking one).

For slugs:
    1. Brenneke KO's. They penetrate better than Foster slugs, and they're accurate out of my 870's. And if I'm using a slug, I want to shoot through something...
    2. Brenneke HD's. Again, accurate out of my 870's, and still penetrate well.
    3. Any other Brennekes, or Federal Tru-Ball. I like Remington slugs for practice, but Tru-Ball has been more accurate, so I will take that if I can get it.
    And nearly two years later, I still agree with me.

Though I really have put shotguns on the back burner for HD guns, they all sit with XM12700 inside.

Feedback Score
    My department issues Remington Reduced Recoil 00 Buck. It has worked very well. I use it in both a Scatterguns Tech 870 with a modified choke and a 14-inch 870 SBS. It patterns well out to 23 yards. I've shot the Reduced Recoil slugs to 100 yards and they are plenty accurate enough for the Trac Loks on my 870 and my shorty.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456