Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Go-To shotgun ammo for HD?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    WTF? When defending yourself and family, why in the world would you use a shotshell designed for killing rabbits and doves on a 200 pound thug who very well could be hopped up on drugs? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Depends on many things. Your house, other family members, neighbors close by... I am fine with high brass 7 1/2 shot. Not to many intruders could take an ounce and a quarter in the face at ten feet and like it much. If you choose buck or slugs any of the major brands will do fine. Don't over think it! GH

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brown3345 View Post
    WTF? When defending yourself and family, why in the world would you use a shotshell designed for killing rabbits and doves on a 200 pound thug who very well could be hopped up on drugs? Really?
    It could be that GH41 has determined that within his operational parameters, high brass 7 1/2 shot is sufficient to accomplish the job. No need to go all "Hulk Hogan" on his decision. A more appropriate inquiry might be to ask if high brass loads with 7 1/2 shot would be effective if unable to achieve a head shot in a high stress scenario.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Maybe I did go all Hulk Hogan. Sorry if I was out of line but I do sometimes get tired of reading on different forums that bird shot is the most awesome HD round out there.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Depends on many things. Your house, other family members, neighbors close by... I am fine with high brass 7 1/2 shot. Not to many intruders could take an ounce and a quarter in the face at ten feet and like it much. If you choose buck or slugs any of the major brands will do fine. Don't over think it! GH
    use what you want - honest

for me after seeing many pheasents hit hard with 6's and keep flying, i would want more. Gauge can usally round up the fly aways but i don't know how he would retrieve a felon.
    Last edited by replacement; 03-02-14 at 18:34. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Winchester low recoil 00 buck

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 3 AE View Post
    It could be that GH41 has determined that within his operational parameters, high brass 7 1/2 shot is sufficient to accomplish the job.
    No, its not.

There is a reason 00 buckshot has been in service for antipersonnel use over the course of centuries.

7.5 is doves, clays, and practice period.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 556A2 View Post

No, its not.
    Agreed...

No group in history has put more bad-guy's asses in the grass with a shotgun, over a longer period of time, than US Law Enforcement. That continuing experience is where certain lessons have been learned.

A couple of those lessons are; 1) There are better weapons for the purpose than a shotgun, especially in a dynamic defensive fight, 2) If you do use a shotgun, do not be frivolous with your life by choosing birdshot.

MikeN
    Defensive use a firearm is rarely a marksmanship problem, but it is ALWAYS a mindset problem.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556A2 View Post
    No, its not.

There is a reason 00 buckshot has been in service for antipersonnel use over the course of centuries.

7.5 is doves, clays, and practice period.
    I know that, along with many others. I'm just not going to try and change someones mind that is set on using it. The info is out there to support the use of buckshot. So it shall be. Amen!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 3 AE View Post
    I know that, along with many others. I'm just not going to try and change someones mind that is set on using it. The info is out there to support the use of buckshot. So it shall be. Amen!
    I have historically been a 00 buck guy, but have read there are some situations where#1 buck offers superior attributes.
    Last edited by brushy bill; 03-03-14 at 18:33.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    "Depends on many things. Your house, other family members, neighbors close by... I am fine with high brass 7 1/2 shot. Not to many intruders could take an ounce and a quarter in the face at ten feet and like it much. If you choose buck or slugs any of the major brands will do fine. Don't over think it! "

Maybe if I post it larger the haters will actually read my original post but I doubt it! GH

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast