Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Colt" Barnaul Ammo

Feedback Score

"Colt" Barnaul Ammo

Does anyone have experience with this stuff through a LE6920? I'm looking for some cheap ammo for a carbine course and my usual Brown Bear is out of stock....but they have this.

I specifically mentioned my 6920 because Brown Bear is the only cheap ammo that cycles my rifle (actually even this will short stroke in really cold weather) I assume this is because of Colts gas port size in combo with the H buffer.

Is this just brown bear with a zinc coating? I would have to buy a minimum of 500 rounds. Thanks.

image.jpg
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

"Colt" Barnaul Ammo

It's the same as MFS/Silver Bear. I've shot many thousands of them without issue. I far prefer it to Tula or Wolf.

ETA: my use is through BCM midlengths, including a 14.5" w/H buffer.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 01-08-14 at 19:49.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    From what I can tell it's re-badged Silver Bear. Looks like it and shoots like it. I can't get it to cycle reliably in my BCM middy and didn't feel like dicking around with it. Pretty weak sauce stuff from my experience.
    Last edited by royal; 01-08-14 at 19:50.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I call it 'Silver Horse'.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    Hmm, I'm thinking that if it works in a middy it's should definitely work in a carbine. Can I assume BCM uses the same gas port size as Colt?

I also may pick up a lighter buffer to run a wider range of cheap ammo.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Unsure of port sizes, but simply switching to a carbine buffer would likely allow it to run in the weaker ammo, then you could move back as necessary with full power stuff.

I've run it in a PSA 16" middie, a BCM 16" middie and a 14.5 BCM middie. All H buffers, all ran it without issue.

As a matter of fact, the only ammo that will occasionally short stroke the 14.5 is Wolf. The 16's run it all without issue.

A buddy and I bought several cases of it together a couple years ago and all his stuff ran it fine also.

It has worked for me. Others may offer differing opinions. I run my stuff fairly clean and dripping wet with quality lube, just for reference.

Good luck.

Feedback Score
    I've shot about 10K+ of brown bear, around 5K of golden tiger, and 50K+ of wolf, both lacquer and polymer through 2 x 6920s, 1x LMT MRP, 2 x Daniel Defense, for personal range time and several carbine courses over the years. Keep the Bolt, carrier lubed well, as well as the chamber, and you'll be fine. There are those who say not to lube the chamber, but I have found it has totally eliminated the occasional stuck case issues. Also, clean the chamber well before switching to brass cased ammo or you will see stuck cases.
    Last edited by RogerinTPA; 01-08-14 at 22:19. Reason: add info
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerinTPA View Post
    I've shot about 10K+ of brown bear, around 5K of golden tiger, and 50K+ of wolf, both lacquer and polymer through 2 x 6920s, 1x LMT MRP, 2 x Daniel Defense, for personal range time and several carbine courses over the years. Keep the Bolt, carrier lubed well, as well as the chamber, and you'll be fine. There are those who say not to lube the chamber, but I have found it has totally eliminated the occasional stuck case issues. Also, clean the chamber well before switching to brass cased ammo or you will see stuck cases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redstate View Post
    Thanks for the link. Good price but they don't have much inventory.

I do keep a chamber brush handy however and luckily I have never had a stuck case with Brown Bear. Even switched back and forth with brass w/o cleaning the chamber at some club events.

With Wolf, my rifle is single shot. This only happened with Brown Bear when I had the rifle out in the car overnight at around 10F.
    Last edited by OldState; 01-09-14 at 06:10.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerinTPA View Post
    Roger,

Have you noticed any accuracy degradation on the rifles that are approaching the 10k round count? I ask because I read an interesting post on the akforum where the poster shot exclusively bi-metal ammo out of a SLR106 and the barrel was trashed around the 7k mark. I wonder what the composition differences are between the barrels if you haven't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Matthew 10:28

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast