Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Colt" Barnaul Ammo

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Since it's COLT, you know it's HP/MPI'd ammo.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Since it's COLT, you know it's HP/MPI'd ammo.
    Clearly the reason I've been buying it, to be sure.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Keep that between us here.... or EVERYONE will be buying it up.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Anyone know where I can pick up a truckload of this stuff? I hear that despite the fit/finish might not be the greatest, it IS the the gold standard of ammo. After all, they do own the TDP.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sadmin View Post
    Roger,

Have you noticed any accuracy degradation on the rifles that are approaching the 10k round count? I ask because I read an interesting post on the akforum where the poster shot exclusively bi-metal ammo out of a SLR106 and the barrel was trashed around the 7k mark. I wonder what the composition differences are between the barrels if you haven't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    One of my 6920's I had rebarreled a few months ago had just over 20K, with mostly Wolf ammo shot through it and used in several carbine courses over the years. It was still grouping inside 3 inches at 100 yards the last time I fired it, with no yaw type holes in the target. Based on the data out there, and what I've experienced, I believe excessively worn barrels are attributed to high rates of fire more so, than rounds fired through it. If you're doing mag dumps on a regular bases, I wouldn't expect the barrel to last very long. I know the 'bubba' in all of us peaks out at some time, and the urge to do endless mag dumps can over come the best of us, but the weapon is an AR, not a belt fed. The barrel should last quite a while if operated accordingly. As far as barrel differences of the AK vs a Colt barrel, thats a pay grade a little more higher than I can adequately speak of.
    Last edited by RogerinTPA; 01-09-14 at 18:17.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerinTPA View Post
    One of my 6920's I had rebarreled a few months ago had just over 20K, with mostly Wolf ammo shot through it and used in several carbine courses over the years. It was still grouping inside 3 inches at 100 yards the last time I fired it, with no yaw type holes in the target. Based on the data out there, and what I've experienced, I believe excessively worn barrels are attributed to high rates of fire more so, than rounds fired through it. If you're doing mag dumps on a regular bases, I wouldn't expect the barrel to last very long. I know the 'bubba' in all of us peaks out at some time, and the urge to do endless mag dumps can over come the best of us, but the weapon is an AR, not a belt fed. The barrel should last quite a while if operated accordingly. As far as barrel differences of the AK vs a Colt barrel, thats a pay grade a little more higher than I can adequately speak of.
    That's impressive, 20,000 rounds. Your theory regarding rate of fire being the issue is a reasonable one.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redstate View Post
    That's impressive, 20,000 rounds. Your theory regarding rate of fire being the issue is a reasonable one.
    I can't imagine that barrel being done in only 20k unless there was some heavy firing schedules. I'm wondering what ammo and sights were used to get the 3" final grouping...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I can't imagine that barrel being done in only 20k unless there was some heavy firing schedules. I'm wondering what ammo and sights were used to get the 3" final grouping...
    I thought 20k was impressive in light of this: http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/bras...el-cased-ammo/

Feedback Score
    The test parameters stated a sustained high rate of fire for the 20k rounds fired. All fired in a 3 day weekend. It was as far a way from reallity as the back side of the moon. If they would have taken a year to shoot it with a more normal and typical firing schedule, it would have been closer to the reality of someone who trained a lot from this forum. I would nt say the test was completely pointless, but it was close.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RogerinTPA; 01-22-14 at 17:13. Reason: spelling
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah... that was some goofball shit. There was an article published nearly 10 years back were some idiot killed a colt barrel in 10k rounds.

Shoot... I had a Bushmaster barrel that was over 30k.... likely near 40k and it was still shooting acceptable groups for practice stuff... maybe 3 MOA or so. I only rotated it out because it was so overgassed.

There are several ways to determine a barrels serviceability, and I don't consider round count to be a very good one.

First would be accuracy acceptability.... next I'd check throat errosion with a gauge or that bullet jump gadget that we use for handloading. If I can push a bullet completely out of the case neck before it hits the lands, then I'm a little uncomfortable... but I still refer back to Accuracy.
    Last edited by markm; 01-22-14 at 11:09.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast