Thread: Vacuum packaging ammo at home

Feedback Score

Vacuum packaging ammo at home

My girlfriend recently bought one of those food savers that basically seals food in a vacuum-sealed baggy for long-term storage.

Like the gods bringing fire to Prometheus, I suggested she use it to vacuum pack ammo.

Hours later, she had every round of spare ammo in her collection vacuum-sealed in convenient little battle packs, with the label showing brand name, bullet type/weight, and lot number attached to the bag.

I think it's a great idea for ammo you don't plan to use for a long time, but it raises some questions.

Are subtle levels of lead sucked into the food saver machine, making it unsafe for food storage from then on?

If there is lead residue, can it be cleaned out to make the machine safe for food again?

Would there be an issue with storing spare magazines, parts, or even a whole pistol this way?

Would small droplets of oil from those things potentially be sucked into the machine, contaminating it?

Any other issues you can think of?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I wouldn't think that there would be any problem, especially with clean, factory ammo. I have also considered doing the same thing.

My wife uses it for everything from raw veggies and meat, to dry goods. If these things have not caused any bacterial or fungal growth that I know of, then I don't think that lead would be getting in there either.

You could also insert a desiccant pack, squeeze excess air out of bag, and use it to heat seal the bag if you are worried about contaminating the machine.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Keep in mind that it's sucking air out. It's kind of hard for anything to get back in do to the direction of flow.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr blasty View Post
    Keep in mind that it's sucking air out. It's kind of hard for anything to get back in do to the direction of flow.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    Exactly.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    My girlfriend recently bought one of those food savers that basically seals food in a vacuum-sealed baggy for long-term storage.

Like the gods bringing fire to Prometheus, I suggested she use it to vacuum pack ammo.

Hours later, she had every round of spare ammo in her collection vacuum-sealed in convenient little battle packs, with the label showing brand name, bullet type/weight, and lot number attached to the bag.

I think it's a great idea for ammo you don't plan to use for a long time, but it raises some questions.

Are subtle levels of lead sucked into the food saver machine, making it unsafe for food storage from then on?

If there is lead residue, can it be cleaned out to make the machine safe for food again?

Would there be an issue with storing spare magazines, parts, or even a whole pistol this way?

Would small droplets of oil from those things potentially be sucked into the machine, contaminating it?

Any other issues you can think of?
    Interesting idea. I think it's wise to wonder about possible minute amounts of lead getting into the machine. But as others mentioned, it's always pulling the air out creating a vacuum, so probably a non issue is my guess. As well stored ammo is good for a at least 20 years or longer (is memory serves) I can't see bothering. I like the idea of storing a whole pistol and mag that way. Oil up and vacuum sealed, probably rust proof for 100 years or so.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    It is a good idea. I vacuum seal all of my medical supplies, makes them last longer and makes them take up less space.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    A simple wipe down of the machine would prevent dust cross contamination. There isnt going to be enough aerosolized lead to matter or shooters would be dying of lead poisoning! Haha. I have known several avid reloaders who got blood lead levels and none was detectable.
    I just got my own food saver! Tha vac packed ammo gives me a lot more storage options and based on the physics of degradation will dramatically extend the life of the ammo. Not to mention waterproofing your spare ammo/medical supplies in the EDC bag that very likely could get rained on or submerged in an actual shtf scenario.
    Priceless!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have been vacuum packing Ammo, Medical supplies, OTC items and spare gun parts for over 15 year's with no ill effect on items packed or the sealer.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.