Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So who's shot a VZ-58?

Feedback Score

Pinned and welded barrel extension.

The barrel extension is attached to bring the barrel to ( and likely a little past) the legal 16 inch US minimum. Anything shorter requires ATF approval including a $200 tax. Also the short barrels are prohibited in some states.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up couple of q's

I've got a VZ.58 and have a couple questions on mags and furniture...

My CZ-USA rifle came with a plastic-floorplate mag, I guess this is the 'legal' mag with US-made floorplate / follower.

I bought other mags that have all metal parts. I guess these are illegal to use unless I add 2 US-made parts to the rifle, or add the plastic floorplate / follower to said mags, or a combination thereof? I'm thinking adding a US-made piston and floorplates will do it.

I want to swap the bakelite butt stock for the longer Zytel stock. Will my bakelite hardware fasten either stock? Or will the Zytel stock ordered from TN Guns have fresh hardware included? Anybody know? Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Some answers and one big "if" . With the standard Bakelite stock or the folders: 2 (two) more US parts are needed. I don't know for sure which Zytel stock you are thinking of buying , but: The folders take a very short bolt and the solids (Bakelite/wood) take a much longer bolt.

Here's the "If" & the "Maybe": A thumbhole or skeleton stock might ( maybe)effect the US parts count requirement. I have zero experience or research with the thumbhole issue-- and a mistake could be a felony.
    Hope this helps until the more experienced folks come around.

Feedback Score
    Would somebody post a link for me to the Vz. 58, costing $ 650? I am trying to navigate a friend in US. Thanks very much

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LH2 View Post
    I've got a VZ.58 and have a couple questions on mags and furniture...

My CZ-USA rifle came with a plastic-floorplate mag, I guess this is the 'legal' mag with US-made floorplate / follower.

I bought other mags that have all metal parts. I guess these are illegal to use unless I add 2 US-made parts to the rifle, or add the plastic floorplate / follower to said mags, or a combination thereof? I'm thinking adding a US-made piston and floorplates will do it.

I want to swap the bakelite butt stock for the longer Zytel stock. Will my bakelite hardware fasten either stock? Or will the Zytel stock ordered from TN Guns have fresh hardware included? Anybody know? Thanks!

I just got back from running my InRange vz-58 through the Vickers 2 Day AK class, and it ran 100% and was definitely a center of attraction.

You'll have to call TN Guns and ask those questions about the zytel stock, I haven't had any first hand experience with the thumbhole.

You're correct about parts count.

Hope that helps. I'm sunburned, dehydrated, and grimy, but I had a great time at the class....time for a shower!

Bugaboo, I posted a link earlier in the thread. The sale ended on the 30th.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=14565
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    As the proud new owner of a VZ-58 I will have to say it is an outstanding rifle. They are extremely light, extremely accurate, very high quality, and have many advantages over the AK/AKM. I knew nothing about them before this weekend, but it did not take many rounds to quickly figure out how great of a rifle they really are.
    Last edited by VA_Dinger; 06-02-08 at 07:32.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Lightbulb

Sounds like Larry's gonna have to run a separate VZ58 class. lol.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Me:

Dinger:

Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The vz58 is underrated, mainly because thery are in frequently in countered. I had two in 05-06' (one fixed, one folder) and only one magazine for the two. I love the ergomonics better then an AK. Guns are more controllable on full auto plus as mentioned the bolt hold open on last round (+manual hold open). Stocks do seem more flimsy though. I was over with the MPs/EOD unit here this morning and they had three vz58 mags which they assumed were lightweight AK mags.

CD

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I shot va_dinger's VZ-58 at the Larry Vickers AK Class last weekend and it's probably the smoothest AK variant (you know what I mean) that I've ever shot. If I wasn't knee deep in getting my SLR-107CR set up like TheKatar's AK-102 clone I'd be looking for one right now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12