Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bugs in Rice

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by St.Michael View Post
    Right.....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Since you don't seem to be receptive of my gorilla suggestion...

Take it out if it's original container, and pick out anything that crawls that's big enough to see. If you don't have room to freeze it, just store it in a good container. They aren't going to destroy your grains. Then before you eat the rice, make sure you cook it. That usually kills the bugs.

People have eaten worse than those little guys.
    Team Medic, Task Force Zangaro
    "The Cat's Originals"

Feedback Score
    Necroposting. Diatomaceous earth, used in pool filters and a few other applications, is a fine white powder, and you can get the food grade on Amazon and other places cheaply. It functions as an insecticide for grain storage, it removes the waxy coat on insect shells, causing them to dehydrate and die. Rinses off when you rinse your rice.

Feedback Score
    Price of meat going up, we will all be eating bugs anyways. Ignore them

Feedback Score
    Shorts,
    We lived in Africa working the Oilfield for near to 20 year. We ate a lot of Rice that was bought in the Markets.
    Wash the Rice in a pot and the bugs will float to the top.
    It may take several rinses before you get them all.
    Now that I am retired and back home to Texas, we still wash the Rice we get here. We still get some bugs but not like in Africa....

Feedback Score
    Wow, folks are really digging into the thread closet.

So we buy rice (etc.) in big bags. I put it in clean 2L soda bottles gassed with nitrogen or argon. Store it away.

Now, I have these gasses on hand anyway for TIG welding and tuning shocks. I wouldn't buy the bottle and a regulator just for this. So freezing sounds like a good option for most. That or washing, or just not looking too close.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    After reading Utahjeeper’s post, I wonder if it would work and be useful to put rice in a sodastream bottle and charge with CO2 and store.. I might try it. Not cheap but we have at least six extra bottles and rarely use them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsunsurf View Post
    After reading Utahjeeper’s post, I wonder if it would work and be useful to put rice in a sodastream bottle and charge with CO2 and store.. I might try it. Not cheap but we have at least six extra bottles and rarely use them.
    Heavier than air, and it will suffocate the bugs. Should work but no personal experience. I have CO2 and CO2/Argon mig gas but haven't ever used it.

FWIW, Argon is awesome for storing paint and stain too. Gas the can, seal it up. Keeps the paint/stain good for a looooong time.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123