Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WV Water Supply Contamination

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

WV Water Supply Contamination

With the chemical spill contaminating the water supply in WV, a thought crossed my mind: Are there any commercially available purification systems that will clean this type of contamination? Anything from a water bottle based (i.e. Katadyn) or something larger? Or is the only way to really combat this type of issue to stock a lot of clean water?
    OIF/OEF vet (Ramadi/Hit & Ghazni)
    Former Army infantry squad leader
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    NR-EMT

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    No, its dissolved, not particulate, you can't filter it. If you could, the plant would be filtering it with their filters. You can't boil it off either because it is less volatile than the water itself. BTW, I have already read the MSDS on the product in question. Getting water from another source would be the order of the day.

If it were me knowing what I know about the spill, (And I am in a position to know as some of the folks/Staff on this board know who I work for without my elaborating), I would bathe in it without hesitation and would drink it in a emergency. The concentration is not that high right now, hovering around 1 ppm.

The authorities right now, as one friend said, are acting on the advice of Lawyers and not the advice of Scientists.

Remember, there are no lethal substances, only lethal concentrations.
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 01-12-14 at 17:13.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    I grew up in Charleston. My brother drove across the Elk river Friday night and said the odor was extremely strong.

Anyone see irony in this image?

Untitled by zweitakt250, on Flickr
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John

If you spend much time around the guys who really, really know their craft, and who truly live this stuff, you tend to find that they are very soft-spoken and modest -- almost to the extreme. To my mind, that is a model worthy of emulation

AC

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    No, its dissolved, not particulate, you can't filter it. If you could, the plant would be filtering it with their filters. You can't boil it off either because it is less volatile than the water itself. BTW, I have already read the MSDS on the product in question. Getting water from another source would be the order of the day.

If it were me knowing what I know about the spill, (And I am in a position to know as some of the folks/Staff on this board know who I work for without my elaborating), I would bathe in it without hesitation and would drink it in a emergency. The concentration is not that high right now, hovering around 1 ppm.

The authorities right now, as one friend said, are acting on the advice of Lawyers and not the advice of Scientists.

Remember, there are no lethal substances, only lethal concentrations.
    Thanks for that insight. Being that I'm not a chemist, I don't think I'd be able to make a determination that the chemical concentration wasn't high enough. Therefore I'd have to err on the side of caution and use a different source (as you suggested).

With all that being said, if a water source was intentionally contaminated (think terrorist attack), the situation would be the same as far as drinkability/filtration, correct?
    NR-EMT

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It would depend on what it was contaminated with and how much.

It is much harder to contaminate a public water supply than some think because the plant itself is effective at treating many contaminants and the dilution factor is enormous. I really don't want to go into to much detail on a public forum for obvious reasons.

This was bad because it was from a large industrial tank farm that was located not far upstream of a water intake.

It will be interesting to hear what proposals come out to prevent such an event from happening again in the future.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    It would depend on what it was contaminated with and how much.

It is much harder to contaminate a public water supply than some think because the plant itself is effective at treating many contaminants and the dilution factor is enormous. I really don't want to go into to much detail on a public forum for obvious reasons.

This was bad because it was from a large industrial tank farm that was located not far upstream of a water intake.

It will be interesting to hear what proposals come out to prevent such an event from happening again in the future.
    No worries, I appreciate you being tight-lipped and appreciate the input you're able to give.
    NR-EMT

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Ecco-terroists have been very busy.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VooDoo6Actual View Post

I doubt this.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VooDoo6Actual View Post
    Conjecture or proof?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr blasty View Post
    Conjecture or proof?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    William Cohen's statement in 97' regarding it, looking at all the coincidences & there is a metric shitload, as a PI for years w/ successful career, talking w/ US Forestry personnel regarding the incendiary balls w/ fuel to start forest fires the proof is there. Just can't specifically locate all the culprits yet as it's pretty vast still. Time will bring it out.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast