Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Direct impingement

Feedback Score
    I agree with perry the new piston ars do look like tooth picks. And I would just like to put my two cents in as far as direct empingement and piston ars. Does anyone have a problem with jams or miss fires with there ars? The only reason you need a piston ar is:
    1.suppressed fire
    2.full auto
    3.and there is a third can't think of it right now.

And I think LWRC has started shipping the sabr not for sure might be a rumor

Feedback Score
    #3 is usually deemed as SBRs

-and btw, where did you hear the SABR might be shipping? All I can say is it's about time. Not that I'll be purchasing one though. They first told us all that they were planning on coming in under the price of an SR25 (which was about $2500-$3000 at the time.)
    NOW I've been told they're wanting $3500 which is insane.

Feedback Score
    Well I was at the gun store today and the guy had gotten in some of the new Barrett 6.8 piston guns and I heard him talking about LWRC's SABR possibly start being shipped first of July. I has kinda fishin' to see if anyone else had heard anything, thats why I said it might be a rumor. sorry if I got your hopes up.

Feedback Score
    Oh dont' worry bud,
    You didn't get my hopes up. I know damn well not to get my hopes up about ANYTHING being promised from LWRC.
    As I said before, their $3500 price tag is freaking insane....

Feedback Score
    CLINT,
    You need to stop posting your stupid link all over this site in different threads. That's a good way to get banned. 3 posts and you've already f'd up...

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Clearly not a reputable company.::
    Last edited by Jay Cunningham; 07-05-08 at 16:05. Reason: deleted spam

Feedback Score
    As I came late to this party, but did not see that a final decision had been made, I thought I'd throw out a little more. As for the piston vs. direct impingement, go with what makes you feel warm inside, because that is the difference I have noticed in the two systems. While I was in Iraq, I carried an HK416, as did my peers. Not a one of us would have felt shorted had we still had M4A1s, though everyone we came across who talked to us and carried an M4/M16 felt they had been issued an inferior weapon system. I don't subscribe to that belief, as I spent a lot of quality time earlier in my career with M16s and M4s and the only consistent problems I ever had with them were the same problems I had with the HK416: bad magazines. I had more bad HK "high-reliability" magazines issued to me than plain aluminum ones; thus, I will never lug the extra weight of the HK steel ones, again. Outside of work, I own three personal ARs, with a fourth on the way, all of which are direct impingement gas system rifles. I have two Colts, which are of moderate assembly quality (just my opinion of the two I have), a .308 Fulton Armory Titan, which is one of the finest feeling rifles I have ever held, with an amazing "standard" trigger, and now a JP Enterprises JP-15 on order. I looked at the POF piston-driven .308, which cost significantly more, but some of my coworkers had evaluated the POF .223 rifles for the Army and had not found them to their liking, primarily due to the unusual recoil impulse. Customer service was poor from POF in my dealings. But, never having seen a Fulton Armory Titan in person, I took the chance and ordered one, for which I have not regretted (customer service was also outstanding, which is a recurring theme in my interaction with companies). If that doesn't help, consider that my .308 with a DI system, and capable of accuracy better than I, was under $2k shipped without backup sights. I also tend to put suppressors on my ARs, and prefer the DI with a suppressor to the piston, as it sounds quieter to my ears. The accuracy of the HK416 and HK417 is not, in my opinion, attributable to its operating system, as I have shot other, commercial, piston rifles and not found them as accurate as DI rifles of the same manufacture. The 416 is quite accurate, but it also has an extremely heavy profiled barrel for its length, whereas commercial companies, like JP, are making very accurate and reliable DI rifles often with lightweight contoured barrels. I would rather carry a standard 14.5" M4A1 over a 10.4" HK416 when it comes to weight up front.

Feedback Score

Smile thanks for the input

most of the posts have been informative.
    in the mean time i got a WOA service rifle upper second hand, and put it on a parts kit dpms lower standard A2 stock and nice 2 stage match trigger
    i just got the ARMS #39 so i can switch between open iron for matches and nice super sniper SS10X42M for the little critters (prairie dogs)
    i would like to get a eotech (maybe for Christmas)

some would say get a flat top receiver but it kills the extras in this upper
    the irons have like two post that stabilize rear sight rotation while dialing in elevation. In match that is a nice feature with small sight apertures.

plus i can say first hand that ARMS mount holds a very tight zero on and off
    its two point mount makes it tough to beat
    so far the worst was a 2 inch at 100
    and after i took it off and wiped out the carry handle and re-attached it back to 1 in at 100 and i can deal with that for on and off. that is a easy dial in

the only complaints i have are due too the type of rifle it is, heavy match barrel and extra weight of float tube, i love it at match but in the field it is a little heavy

but like my father tells me, "when i was your age i was carrying a m14 all day long"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12