Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel Insurance

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Travel Insurance

Anyone have any preferences for providers of short-term travel insurance for OCONUS vacation/business travel? Any experiences to share?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    59 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    Any experiences to share?
    IF, you buy travel insurance, read the fine-print on all the forms that come with it. Then, read that fine print again.

Suffice it to say, insurance companies are very crafty at sidestepping their obligations (yes, there will now be a handful of insurance salesmen to refute that, but please read the fine print very very carefully).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Three Claims That I've Heard....

One was a gal that I met while eating dinner. She had been working long hours up on the north slope and at the end of her rotation went straight from Prudoe Bay to London, England for a vacation. After getting off the plane and headed to customs she recalled blacking out. When she had come to there was a passenger on the flight who was an RN and rocognized the signs of a stroke and got the proper medical attention. Although health care is subsized, her treatment cost her nothing to include immeadiate rehab ect.

The second was an expecting gal on an Alaskan cruise with her husband and inlaws, kinda the last single hurra before the grandchild came. Somewhere around Sitka, AK she went into premature labor. She was medivaced from the ship to Sitka where she was stabilized until she could be medivaced to a major birthing center able to handle any complications. They stabized her for about a week or two but in the end ended up taking the infant and finished cooking it in an incudator for 6-7 weeks. This outting that I met with her was her first time leaving the hospital compound since she was medivaced. Thechild was stable and she was getting ready to return home to her husband in about 10 days. She said if the inlaws had not gotten the optional travel insurance when booking the trip they would have been financially ruined. She had nothing but good things to say. She said they covered everything, to include lodging and trasportation in Anchorage since her child was unstable, periodic trips for her husband to assist with her travel, ect...

The third was a cousin who was on vacation with her husband in Germany. Walking up some steps to a hotel, she slip and fell over backwards and broke her neck on the leading edge of the bottom stair. Due to a previous spinal surgery, the damaged was at both ends of the fused portion. Again, public health care and her command of the language (dual citizenship) she feels that she got bettern treatment abroad than she would have received her in the U.S.

Based on the above incidents and service providers trying to minimize these days I personally would consider opting for the additional insurance if travelling on an extensive vacation perticularly during known peak/holiday seasons/weather permitting ect. Take for instance folks travelling in the past few years getting caught up in natural/negligent disasters (Tidal Wave/Japans Meltdown).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks guys. For clarity, I'm aware of the potential benefits and protections of travel insurance, as well as the need to read the particulars of the policy. What I was hoping to find out is if someone had a favorite company they liked to do business with and an experience or two as they did so.

I do appreciate the effort though.

Feedback Score
    I bought travel insurance once for a vacation and didn't read the fine print. It turned out to be a waste of money.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    As far as gear or equipment is concerned...

Always check your homeowners or renters insurance policy before purchasing travel insurance. Most reputable insurance companies offer some level of theft/loss coverage worldwide. My AAA homeowners covers the first $5K ($500 deductible) and I purchased an additional $10K for about $60 a year.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmaynor View Post
    I bought travel insurance once for a vacation and didn't read the fine print. It turned out to be a waste of money.
    How so... Did you experience something that you needed coverage for, and it wasn't provided in your policy? Or did you buy it, not need it, and thought the money was better spent otherwise?

Feedback Score
    I have the same question, I want to travel to Singapore but I don't know which travel insurance to subscribe...
    Do you know any good family travel insurance ?
    Last edited by Joshua020; 02-01-20 at 12:44.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Travel Insurance

As I knock on wood since I have yet to need my travel insurance.

So I’ve only had experience with them for more information about their plans or before the trip to ask questions etc they have always been quick to have a real person on the phone, patient and helpful.

But at least for my age and plan choice I think the cost is worth being covered.
    https://www.travelguard.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by zombiescometh; 01-19-20 at 14:30.
    "The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary." ~ Clint Smith

Feedback Score
    I used State Farm a few years back on a snowboarding trip. Shattered my ankle and had to get emergency surgery. Between my insurance and travel insurance it cost me less than $2k for a $150k+ bill i believe. State farm paid out and additional $6k roughly on top of my insurance to cover additional costs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast