Page 136 of 155 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 1542

Thread: WHAT IS YOUR EDC KNIFE?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    My griptilian is not in my possession anymore... I cant go into details...

Thats why I am exploring newer options, although the Griptilian was a great go to for the 7 or 8 years I had it.
    Benchmade has come out with quite a few knives since then. Depending on desired blade length you may want to look at the benchmade crooked river - https://amzn.to/30pusrA. Great knife.

The Benchmade Axis Stryker II in Carbon Fiber is an awesome knife - https://www.knivesshipfree.com/bench...-point-cpm-m4/

Also look at ZT as the make great hard use knives. They make a mass produced hinderer, the 0566 that I think is almost better and a steal for the money - https://amzn.to/2Q3fFhG

For autos you can't go wrong with Protech, Microtech or a newish player Piranha knives. All three make awesome autos but you would probably want to avoid out the front autos if it was your only knife.
    Last edited by themonk; 05-15-19 at 09:39.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    ive perused this thread a bit as I find myself in the need for a new EDC knife after an unfortunate incident with my Griptilian...

I see some folders in the 350-450 range that looks fantastic, but I cant justify that type of money.

I think I could go 150-200 bucks.

Whats the hotness in folders under $200 these days?

Is the Griptilian still up there? It was the go to when I bought it back in 2011 or 2012, but a ton of stuff has come out since then.

Im tempted to go back with another one.

I live in Texas so I could run an auto knife, but im not a huge knife guy so for me its a one size fits all approach, so not sure an auto knife is the best choice...for me.

My choice would be the Zero Tolerance 0566 160 bucks on blade hq. Great edc knife. Rides good in the pocket, comes with a deep carry clip, and good blade steel.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Zero-T...6-Knife--15192

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I will check out that ZT 0566 at Cabela's on Friday(their website says the store I go to has it in stock, but who knows).

They also have most of the benchmade knives available.

I wish I could convince myself to get a fixed blade because I would love to own a Winkler of some kind.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Checked out the ZT0566 at Cabela's... I didnt like the movement to close the knife... I dont like getting my fingers in the way of a closing knife blade. Immediate turn off.

They didnt have a black on black Griptilian which was what I had...sold out.

Checked out the Benchmade Freek and Mini Freek. Didnt feel right. I think it was the rubber grip on them, felt cheap, although I know they arent.

I know I checked out at least one or two more Benchmades.

Ended up with a Benchmade Pardue 531. I would have rather had a black blade, but silver is ok. I really like the G10 grips. Super light weight.

Should be a good replacement for my Griptilian.

Feedback Score
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Feedback Score

Cold Steel Immortal

Feedback Score
    Zero Tolerance 0909 KVT. Been going strong for over 2 years now. Only issue was that the pocket clip broke off and ZT was extremely fast in replacing it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Surprised more don't carry a fixed blade.
    Well, I didn't use to for these reasons:
    1. I don't normally wear belts with my pants or shorts
    2. They'd attract more attention when openly carried
    3. Folders are just more convenient to clip in the pocket
    4. Fixed blade IWB isn't very comfortable when seated

I have some smaller fixed blades that were a great size for carrying in the front slash pockets of my pants, but they'd never sit right in the pocket, and then the problem arises of how to draw them. I could attach clips to some of my fixed blade kydex sheaths for waistband carry, but they weren't very comfortable and printed under a t-shirt. I did some research and saw that some places made leather pocket sheaths for fixed blades; which were typically shaped like a rectangular pancake, to keep the knife upright in the pocket. I decided to make my own fixed blade pocket adapter/insert out of kydex.

Rather than make a whole new sheath for the knives (a skill I don't have), I made pocket-shaped pieces of kydex that I attached the existing knife sheath to. Some worked better with the sheath behind the insert, and some with the sheath in front. I tested them out first by mocking them up before drilling the mounting holes. I shaped the kydex sheets with a heat gun, then rounded/smoothed the corners and edges with a dremel and sand paper.

I've been using my home-made set ups for a few months and they work as intended. It's so convenient to just throw them into my front pocket like a phone or wallet. A little notch on the outside corner helps snag the pocket as the knife is drawn so the sheath and insert stay in the pocket. The insert keeps the knife oriented vertically in the pocket and if I'm standing or walking with my hand in my pocket, it's already around the handle. It prints like a wallet or phone. I've never had an issue with them falling out. Note that I am left handed, so the set ups shown below are for left pocket carry.

They're very simple to make - I really encourage that anyone who wants to try carrying a small fixed blade in the front pocket to make them for themselves and give them a go. These knives weren't being used much but once I made my pocket inserts, I carry them quite frequently now. I'd say that they're at least as fast to draw as a folder, and there's no exposed pocket clip to signal 'knife'. Drawing them requires a deliberate movement similar to opening an Emerson Wave folder; only it's the corner of the insert that catches the inside of the pocket while the sheath releases the knife.

All the knives below have 3" to 3.5" blades (Bud Nealy Daryl Meier damascus Aikuchi I've had since the early 90's, Graham Knives Drop Point, and prototype Bawidamann Skraeling)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That’s a really cool idea! Good work! I typically carry a fixed blade iwb but I think I’d like to make myself one of those.

Page 136 of 155 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146 ... LastLast