Page 149 of 155 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 1542

Thread: WHAT IS YOUR EDC KNIFE?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vandal5 View Post
    Thats a cool picture!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    +1! Rocketman, what the make/model, and steel type?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score

Doug Ritter Grip with micarta scales and GID standoffs

I have taken this knife through a host of scales (AWT, Wilkins, and the original ones), and none of them really worked. The AWT needed some work on the edges, the Wilkins are beautiful but made the knife too heavy, and the plastic French Tickler looking standard griptilian scales were garbage. Now this knife has moved up into my top 5. I will remove the DLC on the screws once I finish relocating and reopen my modding shop, but otherwise these make this knife amazing. I wish I had the photography skills some of you possess, but those of you that know knives will get the gist...m390, Doug Ritter designed, Axis lock and those scales

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFanToM View Post
    I have taken this knife through a host of scales (AWT, Wilkins, and the original ones), and none of them really worked. The AWT needed some work on the edges, the Wilkins are beautiful but made the knife too heavy, and the plastic French Tickler looking standard griptilian scales were garbage. Now this knife has moved up into my top 5. I will remove the DLC on the screws once I finish relocating and reopen my modding shop, but otherwise these make this knife amazing. I wish I had the photography skills some of you possess, but those of you that know knives will get the gist...m390, Doug Ritter designed, Axis lock and those scales
    I've often bandied about the idea of new scales for my mini grip but is the juice worth the squeeze? Most of these seem to be made overseas or cost more than a new knife - which did you end up with and / or recommend?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFanToM View Post
    the plastic French Tickler looking standard griptilian scales were garbage.
    I use my gryp pretty much daily and have carried it every day for many years, almost since they first came out.

Never once did I take issue or even think of a suggested improvement for the factory scales.

But it's a tool, an appliance for me. I do not take delight in customizing it. (So I would happily do so if I thought there was an issue)

To each their own, but I would never call the factory scales garbage.

Feedback Score
    These are my EDC knives. What I wear, what I’m doing, and where I’m going determines what knife goes in my pocket.

Feedback Score
    Most people are fine with the plastic hollow scales that the grip comes with, but compared to most other nicest in the price range they are a huge step down in quality, feel and durability. Take the Hogue RSK for example, made in US, v10 scales solid ones at that, better steel than the standard grip, thinner behind the edge, and less than the the v10 20cv grip by over $50. Are frn scales adequate? Sure on a $32 knife like the western active honey badger, but on a grip...nope. This particular BM cannot be purchased new any more, so imo a pair of $60 micarta scales are well worth it.
    In addition, I do knife sharpening and modding as a side hustle and I like my knives to have some individuality. I use ALL of my knives, so none are pristine, but only a few are as came from factory. I have a BM greek with m4 that has no dlc and a stonewashed blade as well. The DLC created drag and the polished stonewash improved performance, as do these micarta scales.
    Benchmade as a whole is a good company, but some of their stuff is over priced and their factory edges and QC are garbage...just like the original hollow frn grip scales. You may be ok with them, but when the frn on $32 knives is better executed...to each their own opinion

This is my collection in the current state, and the knives are in order of favorites from left to right, left being top. Keep in mind this is my collection, so I actually like all the knives, but some are definitely better than others from a user perspective as well as value. Take the 1st knife to the left. That is the Massdrop distributed, WE made, Laconico designed Keen, and @ $150 brand new, its a huge value as well as an amazing user. Super thin behind the edge .014", s35vn blade steel, action that is often described as frictionless or hydraulic, the scales have a great aged bronze look and are contoured in a way to make it fit the hand perfectly. I could prattle on for a bit about that knife, but there is quite a bit of personal preference in the knife world as well as in the firearms world...what may work for you may not for me and vice versa. As a guy that literally handles 100's of knives a year, and tunes, mods, and sharpens them (some are rescues...let me know if you want some rescue pics), I have a pretty well rounded opinion of what I consider to be a good knife. I NEVER recommend a griptilian, not because they suck but because they no longer represent a good value. You can get a Hogue RSK and support the knife communities biggest advocate Doug Ritter, save a few $s and get a better knife (the ABLE lock is an improvement on the Axis, the steel is 20cv, g10 scales, better blade shape for actually cutting and standard with a deep carry clip). Again, not bashing BM, as they have some stellar knives (the Freek is one, and oddly enough it looks eerily similar to the RSK), but they are not the best value across their line and the grip is definitely overpriced for the base model...frn and s30v should be around $60-70 max imo.

RSK vs Freek blade shape
    Last edited by JackFanToM; 09-19-20 at 12:45. Reason: add picture

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    This is my carry knife on most days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    <------Be not affraid!

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I don't have an EDC knife. I just don't come across spontaneous cheesecake often enough to warrant one. But when I do, I carry a Medford.

Page 149 of 155 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151 ... LastLast