Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: New Sharps Relia-Bolt design using S7 tool steel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet432 View Post
    I like how the website uses the term "assault rifle"
    How is that incorrect? I'm sure they are not limiting nor designing these only for semi auto guns only.

At least they didn't say assault weapon like most fracktards do. lol
    From TOS ... "buy the shit out of that thing, all the mil spec is just nonsense."

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WAR FACE View Post
    They where working on this a few years ago. I had not heard about Shapes in a long time figured they went under. Sharps sent out a bad batch of receivers early on and got a bad rep. S7 steel is suppose to be real high grade from what I understand.
    Pretty sure that I remember this from a couple of years ago as well.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    So what the heck is the "claimed" advantage, and how do a few bevels here and there accomplish it?
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sharps has an AR cartridge they're pushing too. They call it the 25-45 Sharps. I believe it is nothing more than a 223 Remington case necked up to accept a .257 bullet. It probably isn't a bad little cartridge and being able to use existing firearms and reloading components with minimal fuss is a plus. Of course I don't see anything other than academic benefits in the slight increase in diameter and bullet weight over something like a Sierra 77gr and in some cases you'd be dealing with a less aerodynamic bullet depending on what you run in the 5.56.

Anyway, the bolt appears to be a nice product. The machine work is good all around. Gas rings are the GI three type and the extractor is a matte phosphate finish. Surprisingly there is no extractor insert and the only sort of spring assistant on the extractor is a rubber donut.

I had been planning to pretty much just stick the bolt in a couple different rifles and give the gun(s) a try but I think something more imaginative is in order. Really I can think of twice in my life that a bolt like this "may" have made a difference. One was when I had a failure to feed that resulted in the bullet getting pushed into the case mouth followed by 25gr of gunpowder getting dumped in the barrel extension. Time #2 was a loose primer that wound up in the same place. I think I might try to duplicate both previous malfunctions and then seeing if the gun will run. If anyone has an idea or two in this regard, let me know.

I can take some photographs but there are already some detailed pics on the Sharps website.

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 01-19-14 at 09:02.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    So what the heck is the "claimed" advantage, and how do a few bevels here and there accomplish it?
    I believe the biggest benefit is to allow more clearance to the bolt inside the barrel extension. Locking lugs are tapered off to fit and possibly push crud out of the corresponding barrel extension teeth.

The two lugs that act as feed pawls are changed the least. These aren't angled but do have a new shape. Otherwise, the other lugs are angled and offer a reduced profile to the bolt face.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by discreet View Post
    How is that incorrect? I'm sure they are not limiting nor designing these only for semi auto guns only.

At least they didn't say assault weapon like most fracktards do. lol

you got me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I fired another magazine through my rifle and Relia-Bolt combo yesterday. The locking lugs are showing good even contact with the barrel extension. The NiB finish cleans easily. Most of the carbon build-up behind the gas rings wiped right off after just a few minutes of soaking in Bore Tech C4.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well since you took the plunge on the AFAB, Buford T, maybe I should get this and let you know my thoughts.
    The problem is testing it will be tough to do well since I only put 2-3K rds through a gun in 6 months. I won't be able to tell if the bolt is holding oil (FireClean) or not since the np3 will clean as easy as a FireClean coated bolt.

I love S7 as a bolt steel if it's as good as I've read--I like the idea in theory of the beveled/re-shaped lugs, but the bolt-barrel jam isn't very common....much more common is lugs that snap at 6-12K rds....so if the S7 and new angles help strengthen it and reduce stress as it's setting in the barrel extension, then maybe this is an improvement. I had planned on buying a cheap backup bolt, but maybe I'll get this and make my BCM the backup.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Today I took a couple spent primers and dropped them into the barrel extensions of an AR with a conventional bolt and my rifle with the Sharps bolt. Both rifles were laid ejection port up and then the bolt was dropped three times using the bolt catch.

On the conventional AR, the bolt fully closed on the first drop but wouldn't close on attempts two and three. On the last attempt, I had to mortar the gun. The spent primer looked like this:

The anvil is gone and I couldn't find it inside the rifle.

The Relia-Bolt closed and opened fine on the first and second attempts. On the third attempt the bolt didn't fully close and it took a pretty good pull on the charging handle to get the action open. The primer from this rifle is here:

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I tried the primer experiment live fire this morning. I dropped a spent small rifle primer in the barrel extension and then fired five rounds. The first round chambered manually but the bolt failed to close fully on the second round. Opening the bolt a couple inches and then letting it close again got it fully into battery and I fired the remaining rounds with issue.

Next I pulled a bullet and dumped the charge of ball powder into the barrel extension and upper. The charging handle was gritty and raspy after this but the bolt still went into battery and closed easily on an empty chamber. Unfortunately much of the powder went into the chamber itself and I could not get the bolt to close on a live round even after trying three or four times. I pulled the bolt and gave the chamber one plunge with a chamber brush. This cleared the chamber enough that I was able to load and fire the rifle without issue.

Granted, I would have been screwed had I not had a chamber brush in my range bag and the argument could be made that I could have just as easily given the brush a few spins to clean the powder out of the extension. Still, the Relia-Bolt works as advertised by allowing room for crud and foreign matter inside the extension.

Of course time will tell how well the bolt's new material holds up.

Last edited by Tokarev; 03-16-14 at 18:22.

Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast