Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New Sharps Relia-Bolt design using S7 tool steel.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    At this point my one complaint is the price. The bolt (with extractor) is as much as a complete bolt carrier group from other manufacturers. Also, my SRC bolt's extractor only came with the o-ring insert. No spring was present. Fortunately I had a spare. While the extractor might have worked with the donut insert alone, it really needs a spring and spring insert if we're going for something to enhance reliability.

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    From a manufacturing standpoint, I can understand the price. Driving around the lugs in a standard fashion is easy, but the design of the Relia-bolt has some challenges to it. It requires more machine time than a standard bolt, and machine time is money. Thanks for the review!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by redmist View Post
    From a manufacturing standpoint, I can understand the price. Driving around the lugs in a standard fashion is easy, but the design of the Relia-bolt has some challenges to it. It requires more machine time than a standard bolt, and machine time is money. Thanks for the review!
    I imagine that's true. Still, I imagine there'd be more interest if the MSRP was $119 or something like that.

I should comment on the machining. The bolt is well made and nicely tooled. Machining of the lugs is clean and crisp with no visible cutting marks, etc.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Tokarev, thanks for posting all this info.

Do they provide Amy info on the heat treat processes they use? Also, do they shot peen these bolts?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    Do they provide any info on the heat treat processes they use? Also, do they shot peen these bolts?
    Not that I've seen. There isn't anything in the product literature or on the website. I have sent them an email and I'll let you know when I hear back.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Not that I've seen. There isn't anything in the product literature or on the website. I have sent them an email and I'll let you know when I hear back.

Thank you, sir. I appreciate it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Today's reply from SRC's Tim Lesser:

Regarding your questions, the Relia-Bolt is magnetic particle inspected, high pressure proof tested, and through-hardened.* Of note, however, is that we’re using a proprietary heat-treat process specifically developed for S7 steel in this type of use.* The repetitive shock and thermal variance associated with AR/MSR bolts is unique, and our testing revealed some very interesting information as to how we could improve on the already superior S7 steel.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Today's reply from SRC's Tim Lesser:

Regarding your questions, the Relia-Bolt is magnetic particle inspected, high pressure proof tested, and through-hardened.* Of note, however, is that we’re using a proprietary heat-treat process specifically developed for S7 steel in this type of use.* The repetitive shock and thermal variance associated with AR/MSR bolts is unique, and our testing revealed some very interesting information as to how we could improve on the already superior S7 steel.

That's good to know about the heat-treatment being TAILORED to the S7 material and not just mindlessly adapted from C158 processes. Hmmm.....

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I put one in my BCM carrier and used it before and at the DeFoor class...it basically wiped clean (I'd treated it with FireClean)--but there was some minor buildup on the tail as always.
    So far it's had 800rds through it and, when cleaned, looks brand new except for the tail--I'll soak it and scratch it clean after another 500-700rds.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    That's good to know about the heat-treatment being TAILORED to the S7 material and not just mindlessly adapted from C158 processes. Hmmm.....
    Companies that heat treat have programs to tell them the temp and time depending on the type of steel, hardness and depth required. All heat treat processes are alloy specific.

Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast