Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Survival Summit

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I don't know what it is but they are obviously trying to sell the whole deal for $67. That web site design is very popular. I see it everywhere. Same format, same colors, same layout. ... every one of them no matter what they are selling has the same base message.... "This is the secret the pros know. It would cost you a fortune and take you years to learn but I have assembled it here for you for only $50"

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    I don't know what it is but they are obviously trying to sell the whole deal for $67. That web site design is very popular. I see it everywhere. Same format, same colors, same layout. ... every one of them no matter what they are selling has the same base message.... "This is the secret the pros know. It would cost you a fortune and take you years to learn but I have assembled it here for you for only $50"
    I agreed & that was obvious to me. I invested some time into listening & so did a few other I instruct w/. We teach this stuff for real no BS. It was ridiculous we thought & they gave away nothing for the time we had invested. As I said, you could do far better from Cats like "MainePrepper" et al for free, than the namedropping ball sac love fest I heard. Sorry it was a bust, could have been way better.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Here's what you do.

Go to survivalsummit.com/live

Open the presentation per-day. Click the video's "YouTube" link.

Cut/paste the Youtube link into http://keepvid.com/ and click "Download"

Save in the format you want on to your local hard drive.

Download VLC from videolan.com if you need something to play the files.
    Win

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VooDoo6Actual View Post
    ...... As I said, you could do far better from Cats like "MainePrepper" et al for free, ......
    Yup. Al is fantastic. Can't beat the attitude and his worldview I find extremely similar to my own which helps put a lot of things in perspective.

This survivalsummit shit really seems like yet another group of people willing to capitalize on the currently unprepared who are just now waking up and saying to themselves, "Oh shit, I'm so far behind, what do I do!?"

Feedback Score
    I learned about the so-called Survival Summit about 6 hours before it began. I thought, "wow,” and immediately signed up. I made a list of which sessions I wanted to listen to. I was pumped up …

What I found was that the sessions are actually recorded telephone interviews of the various presenters. While there are nuggets here and there, most of the information is either basic or painfully obvious (the presentation on how to fortify your home emphasized the importance of locking your doors. Gee, I never thought of that …).

I watched a total of 6 presentations before deciding that I was wasting my time. One of the presentations, by Marjory Wildcraft on locating the perfect survival retreat, was very well done. Perhaps not coincidentally, that was the only presentation which was recorded without the “help” of the interviewer. Unfortunately, things went downhill from there.

Another presentation I, ah, watched was, um, James Hubbard on, um, surviving a, ah, nuclear, you know, event. His presentation was, um, constantly, and I, um, mean constantly, punctuated by “um,” “ah,” and “you know.” No, Dr. Hubbard, I don’t know, because if I did know, I wouldn’t need to watch your presentation.

While this will not matter to some, many of the PowerPoint slides are ungrammatical, are misspelled, or simply use the wrong words. “Deterrents” is not the same as “deterrence.” “Wont” is not the same as “won’t.” “Gama” is not the third letter in the Greek alphabet. The poor quality of the slides serves only to lessen the already-substandard quality of most of the presentations.

Most important, however, is this: many people think, wrongly, that the sole requirement that a good teacher (presenter, lecturer, educator, briefer -- call it what you will) must have is mastery of the subject matter. That is absolutely not true. A professional symposium, which this purports to be, should be presented by people who not only know what they are talking about, but who can present the material in an interesting and engaging way. The individual presentations should be supported by materials (whether videos, handouts, PowerPoint slides, etc.) which have been thoughtfully prepared and proofread before the presentation.

These days we seem to be constantly presented with numbered lists … the 7 habits of successful people, 20 things to never do after you’re 50, etc. So in that spirit, here are 4 rules (pay attention!! These are the four must-know secret rules which will improve your presentations, increase your sexual stamina, cure cancer, and make your Glock obsolete!!! I normally sell these rules for the low price of $99.00, but because I’m such a nice guy I’m giving them to you today for absolutely free!!) for internet presentations:

1. Present your own material. Hey, Mr. Producer, I want to hear from the expert, not you and not some interviewer! The expert knows what he wants to say, so I want him (or her) -- not you! -- to control the presentation.
    2. Be prepared. Know what you, um, are going to, ah, say, and maybe, um, practice it beforehand, you know?
    3. Don’t misrepresent the visual aids. As someone else noted, “the term ‘video’, means VIDEO, not slide show. I could get this kind of experience listening to a podcast.”
    4. If the material is prerecorded, listen to it before airtime. If the sound quality stinks, fix it. If the slides have issues, fix them. If you want to be professional, then be professional.

As we used to say back in the day, remember the 6 P’s -- Proper Preparation Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

Maybe they’ll do it right next time.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    @exkc135driver --- Amen x 10,000..

I was watching a video the other day, not of that series, but a YT video. The guy actually knew what he was talking about and pretty easy to follow but I swear I was sitting there telling myself if smacks his lips or says 'um' one more time, I'm going to throw my computer out the window. There are a lot of people out there that need to go to NPR editing school. I watched a guy review a radio and I can't remember how long was devoted to taking it out of the box, just a little shirt pocket radio, but the whole video was several minutes long and he never turned the radio on!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Agree with mentions above, info wasn't bad just kind of watered down. Had a lot of potential but fell short. Still thankful for heads up and link tho, is way better than crap on TV any given night.... Damn I can't wait for Walking Deads new season.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    I just wish the sections were shorter. Cut to the point because I do not have the time to sit and watch all of that.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by exkc135driver View Post
    I learned about the so-called Survival Summit about 6 hours before it began. I thought, "wow,” and immediately signed up. I made a list of which sessions I wanted to listen to. I was pumped up …

What I found was that the sessions are actually recorded telephone interviews of the various presenters. While there are nuggets here and there, most of the information is either basic or painfully obvious (the presentation on how to fortify your home emphasized the importance of locking your doors. Gee, I never thought of that …).

I watched a total of 6 presentations before deciding that I was wasting my time. One of the presentations, by Marjory Wildcraft on locating the perfect survival retreat, was very well done. Perhaps not coincidentally, that was the only presentation which was recorded without the “help” of the interviewer. Unfortunately, things went downhill from there.

Another presentation I, ah, watched was, um, James Hubbard on, um, surviving a, ah, nuclear, you know, event. His presentation was, um, constantly, and I, um, mean constantly, punctuated by “um,” “ah,” and “you know.” No, Dr. Hubbard, I don’t know, because if I did know, I wouldn’t need to watch your presentation.

While this will not matter to some, many of the PowerPoint slides are ungrammatical, are misspelled, or simply use the wrong words. “Deterrents” is not the same as “deterrence.” “Wont” is not the same as “won’t.” “Gama” is not the third letter in the Greek alphabet. The poor quality of the slides serves only to lessen the already-substandard quality of most of the presentations.

Most important, however, is this: many people think, wrongly, that the sole requirement that a good teacher (presenter, lecturer, educator, briefer -- call it what you will) must have is mastery of the subject matter. That is absolutely not true. A professional symposium, which this purports to be, should be presented by people who not only know what they are talking about, but who can present the material in an interesting and engaging way. The individual presentations should be supported by materials (whether videos, handouts, PowerPoint slides, etc.) which have been thoughtfully prepared and proofread before the presentation.

These days we seem to be constantly presented with numbered lists … the 7 habits of successful people, 20 things to never do after you’re 50, etc. So in that spirit, here are 4 rules (pay attention!! These are the four must-know secret rules which will improve your presentations, increase your sexual stamina, cure cancer, and make your Glock obsolete!!! I normally sell these rules for the low price of $99.00, but because I’m such a nice guy I’m giving them to you today for absolutely free!!) for internet presentations:

1. Present your own material. Hey, Mr. Producer, I want to hear from the expert, not you and not some interviewer! The expert knows what he wants to say, so I want him (or her) -- not you! -- to control the presentation.
    2. Be prepared. Know what you, um, are going to, ah, say, and maybe, um, practice it beforehand, you know?
    3. Don’t misrepresent the visual aids. As someone else noted, “the term ‘video’, means VIDEO, not slide show. I could get this kind of experience listening to a podcast.”
    4. If the material is prerecorded, listen to it before airtime. If the sound quality stinks, fix it. If the slides have issues, fix them. If you want to be professional, then be professional.

As we used to say back in the day, remember the 6 P’s -- Proper Preparation Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

Maybe they’ll do it right next time.
    My thoughts exactly. If there's one thing the USAF does well, it's power point presentations. Second is air power.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    If there's one thing the USAF does well, it's power point presentations. Second is air power.
    That is some funny Stuff !!!!!!! .........but very true.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast